Abbott Meter Batteries

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In July the Post Office introduced new rules regarding the sending of Lithium batteries in the mail. It allows for batteries to be sent IN or WITH a device, but not as a sole item, which causes a problem for glucose meter users who have always been offered free battery replacements.
I just tried to obtain new batteries for my Abbott Insulinx meter. The customer care line told me that "due to changes in Post Office rules in August" they can no longer issue batteries for their meters, but can tell you the correct battery code. So me, being a tight-a**e, had a think about it,recalled the care line and asked if they still send new meters to customers and, since they do, do they have batteries included?
"Of course they do." So I asked for a replacement meter to be sent, but they only do that if the one you are using has a fault...unless you tell them you are going to use a meter from another company. That is the game changer. The new meter was dispatched today and should be here within 3 days.

I suspect that most companies will be fitting rechargeable batteries to future meters.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sad news if true. Ebay doesn't seem to aware of the problem. My Abbott meter uses a standard 2032 and you can buy them in packs of ten on Ebay.

What does the Post Office do if it finds out.