LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like you need one, Smidge.

From that blog piece:

"How much does it cost?

The starter kit containing 2 sensors (lasting 14 days each) and a reader costs £133.29 +VAT

The reader on its own costs £48.29 (with a 2 year warranty) +VAT

A sensor on its own costs £48.29 +VAT

Note – People with diabetes don’t pay the VAT on medical products. Please get in touch with Abbott for more info about this."

Lucy

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As @phoenix suggested, the Libre is a much better choice for occasional use than the existing CGMs. It is somewhat self defeating for CGM users (like me) to try to economise by only wearing the CGM sometimes, because we still have large fixed costs invested for the receiver and transmitters, whether we use the CGM or not. With the fixed costs of the Libre being only £50 it is a no brainer to economise variable costs (sensors) by occasional use.

I think this really could be the continuous BG monitoring revolution that is finally open to almost everyone.

Reactions: 3 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. As soon as I know a bit more I'm planning to try it. As you say, it seems practical to try it for a limited term.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am absolutely getting one of these asap. I won't be able to fund it long term, but I could for a few months and maybe that would give me enough data to see some patterns.

Is it actually available yet? People seem to have them but all I can find are 'coming soon' notices.

Smidge

Bertie17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it's finally available! Just bought one -after 68 yrs Type 1 pricking at least 3 times daily, what joy not to do it! Only 3 days, but ok so far.
Costly, but why not spend savings on this rather than pay greedy people £1,500 a week for care, when this gadget will enhance my life NOW!
Go for it!

Reactions: 4 people

Silas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta.
I am currently on the 12 week I HART clinical trial for Reduced Hypo Awareness and I find the meter great for showing me where I am and which direction I am heading so I can tele corrective action before it becomes a problem. I am not certain how accurate it is in comparison with my normal meter (the ACCU-CHEK Expert) as there is quite a wide margin of difference at higher Blood Glucose levels. There is also no audible warning when you are into hypo territory.

It makes it so quick and easy to check your reading, any time, even while driving.

I have type 1 and have been on insulins for 44 years. Although I do have some warning signs they tend to be fleeting and subtle so are easily missed and result in frequent hypos. This meter will, I hope reduce, my LOWs and my hypos.

I cannot for the life of me think why it would be restricted only to type 2 patients. Perhaps it does not tick all the boxes in its current form. What it certainly does is make you acutely aware of what your levels are. For type 2 sufferers, which is a huge number of people, it could transform their lives. I sincerely hope that it will become widely available for type 1s as well, or better still be improved so that it meets all the needs of type 1 diabetics.

sharron 64

Type of diabetes
LADA
I don't understand why any meter would be restricted in use to T2s? Never heard of such a thing.
When the hospital fitted me with the Libre, the rep for Libre was also present she gave us the back ground on the trials they had done, and it certainly was not type 2 s it was all type 1 s, . She said they are hoping to get the sensors on NHS, and all paper work has been sent, so just the matter of time, however, it will only be the Type 1 hospital that can give them out, so i cant see how type 2s will be able to get them

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
however, it will only be the Type 1 hospital that can give them out, so i cant see how type 2s will be able to get them

We don't even get normal meters and test strips!

@sharron 64 this thread is over a year old. I also noticed you replying to an even older Libre thread just now. You may not receive any replies!