Abnormal blood sugar?

naitsirk

After my doc found sugar in my urine about a year ago, I have been really anxious of getting diabetes. My hba1c was 5.3, fasting blood sugar 5.9 and random 6.6 and the doc told me I was fine. My father got diabetes type 1 at the age of 42 and I borrowed his meter and measured on varies type of foods and drinks. I got as high as 10 after eating mcdonalds after probably 40 minutes or so and 9.5 15-20 minutes after drinking a 0.5l coke. I freaked out and ordered c-peptide(result 0.47) and anti-gad(result 0.9) which my doc told me was normal. I started eating healthier and working out and my numbers are better but still hba1c of 5.3 a year after. I am a very skinny 20 year old with a high metabolism so I have always eaten unhealthy and have been drinking much alchohol and enjoyed an occasional smoke. I used to be very active but the last to years before my doctor spotted the sugar in urine I have been slacking. I am very stressed and anxious aswell. Do you think I am heading to diabetes type 1? Or do you think by bad lifestyle already has set a trace and could be reversible? Is 9.5 a high reading after 20 minutes after drinking a 0.5l coke? What do you advise me to do here?

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It is normal for non-diabetics to spike above 10 depending on what they ate. Half a liter of regular coke contains about 50g of fast acting sugars. McDonald's food is laced with sugar in the buns, sauces and dressings. Most people spike on these foods because the body can't cope with that amount of sugar so quickly, so I'd say for those food choices, it's fairly normal. I'd be more concerned if you had a fiber and protein rich lunch with a diet soda and your bloodsugar rose to 10 or higher. That's something a non-diabetic doesn't spike on generally speaking.

Stress is also known to increase your bloodsugar levels because of cortisol release in the body. When I deal with insomnia bouts or panic attacks, my sugars tend to go through the roof. That's not diabetes specific, that happens to everyone (except I don't make enough insulin to deal with it so I shoot way past 10 if I don't inject).

I recommend taking a step back and breathing in and out. You've gotten more tests to determine if you have diabetes than some diabetics get. The results were negative. Unless you're experiencing the classic diabetes symptoms (always thirsty, peeing all the time, slow and lethargic, blurry vision etc.) then I don't think you have anything to worry about. Nobody can predict whether you'll become diabetic or not, or which type you'll be, but you can take care of yourself now and live life happily and consciously all the same!

Reactions: azure

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
@naitsirk Welcome to the forum... I don't think so at all. It's normal to have some sugar in your urine if you've had a high intake of sugary foods/drinks, it's our bodies way of getting rid of excess. 0.5 l coke would skyrocket my glucose levels too! You sound like most normal 20yr olds... drinking and eating whatever you like I did it too! That being said if you are worried.. why not grab the opportunity to change something? Diet isn't that hard to improve.. Drink alcohol moderately and reduce the amount of sugary foods and drinks. Read around on this site for healthy food ideas. Most importantly.. go have fun!

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Naitsirk and welcome to the forum. A 500ml bottle of coke contains 54 gm of sugar which is quickly absorbed by your body. As these are empty calories your system can do without them. My advice would be to cut out coke and other such stuff from your diet and eat and drink more healthly. Your older self will thank you for it in 20 years time.

Reactions: DaftThoughts

naitsirk

I just feel lightheaded and dizzy after eating and drinking unhealthy and that is giving me more anxiety. Also wouldn´t a normal person have 0.0 in anti-gad? it is scary that I have 0.9.

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I just feel lightheaded and dizzy after eating and drinking unhealthy and that is giving me more anxiety. Also wouldn´t a normal person have 0.0 in anti-gad? it is scary that I have 0.9.

If I do understand antibodies right we all have them, but the problem start if they stack, like reproduce and start attacking the body. So I wouldn't freak out about 0.9 anti-GAD.

Yes 10 and 9.5 mmol are high, but a non diabetic can get bloodsugar up to 11.1 mmom right after eating, so still pretty normal.

Also a HbA1c of 5.3 are pretty good, I got 5.9 last time I checked and are not diabetic. So wouldn't stress it if I were you :)

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I echo what others have said @naitsirk You had concerns but you've had a lot of tests done and there is no problem. Forget it and don't stress over it.

You're not destined to get Type 1 just because your dad has it. I understand your worry, but tests have shown there is nothing wrong :)

Some of the symptoms you mention are probably caused by anxiety, and that's a vicious circle. Relax and trust your doctors' conclusion that you do not have diabetes.

M

ME_Valentijn

Stick to the healthy foods :) It's not abnormal to have low amounts of auto-antibodies in the blood ... most healthy people do, for all sorts of things. But if levels are staying low, the body has them under control, and they aren't causing problems. That might change in the future, but it also might not. Either way, you're probably getting checked regularly (or checking yourself), so any problem will be caught long before complications become a concern.

And Diabetes isn't something to be scared of. Sure, it's much better not to have it, but it's very manageable. If you do end up with it some day, it won't drastically change your life, especially if you're already eating a healthy and consistent diet. But as far as I know, there's nothing that can be done to avoid Type 1, or to reduce the risk of developing it.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with what others have stated to you. What I would add is that you should really just focus on your hbA1c which at 5.3 is in normal range. Now if you had >5.6 on your hbA1c result then yeh you'd have reason to be concerned. It sounds to me you're doing just fine and are non diabetic. I understand that having family members with diabetes is concerning as there is the genetic factor there... but you just may miss that gene and not get diabetes at all too. I wish you the best. :)

Reactions: ME_Valentijn

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The others above have all said you have no need to stress or worry. Your doctor says you do not have diabetes. Your test results show you do not have diabetes and are perfectly normal. The spikes after the food you described is also normal. Testing so soon after eating/drinking that rubbish is futile and will not show you anything. You need to test before and a couple of hours later to get a better reflection of how your pancreas is working.

My advice though, put that meter away and try to eat a more healthy balanced diet without sugar.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you are fine with normal BG levels just try to eat a little more healthily and have some exercise which is good advice for everyone