1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Abnormal liver function levels

Discussion in 'Diabetes Complications' started by babyboscher, Nov 5, 2014.

1. babyboscher

babyboscher Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!

I'm hoping someone can help me!

I am a type 1 diabetic and have been for 9 years. Last year I was hospitalised twice with DKA and it wasn't until my second time that my doctor said that my liver function was abnormal. Since then I've had blood tests to keep an eye on it and my liver function level has still remained fairly raised. It's now coming up to a year and for 2 months my liver function was almost normal but now my levels have raised again. It has seemed to become more of a concern at my appointments to keep checking.

Does anyone know what could be the problem or what might be happening? Is it a complication from my diabetes or is it something completely irrelevant??

I don't know what to do so I'm hoping someone can help me please.

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Not too sure to be honest if it's related to your diabetes, what does your diabetes consultant say?

3. tammy37

tammy37 Type 2 · Newbie

Hi I'm type 2 and i have had liver function tests that have been abnormal the doctor as said it's fatty liver and nothing too serious. They just monitor it xx

4. babyboscher

They haven't said anything regard to my diabetes but they just keep checking it but not saying much. However they do seem quite worried about it :(

5. babyboscher

Thank you. I can try and put my mind at rest :)

6. Paulabetts

Paulabetts Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had nafld non alcoholic fatty liver disease for a few years but as my weight came down it improved I no have normal readings Im type 2

7. jack412

jack412 Type 2 · Expert

I would ask your nurse to explain the results to you.

8. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

9. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

10. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

I have suffered with high liver function, fatty liver, high cholestrol, high BP. - till I started low carbing.
    Now I haven't!!
    I also weigh a lot less and feel great!

11. Emma_P23

Emma_P23 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've been type 1 for 18 years and have also been told my liver function is high. It was put down to having fatty liver and that was it. I'm perfect weight for my height but I don't low carb so maybe that's the reason. If in doubt then ask your doctors.

12. auraura

auraura Type 1 · Newbie

Hi, l am type 1 and after abnormal lft's was diagnosed with primary biliary cirrhosis another autoimmune condition which has a link with type 1 diabetes. I was told by my consultant l had a confused immune system! But you can have abnormal lft results without anything developing from them, so try not to worry too much.

13. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Try not to worry, at least they are keeping an eye on things and will no doubt do regular blood checks, next time you see the consultant do ask if it's diabetes related.

14. SparkJack

SparkJack Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I too had similar results until I moved to a new practice. New Doctor said vitamin D levels were in my boots. Took vitamin D tablets with calcium and liver function tests were normal. Was warned that the liver may still be fatty etc just not showing up in blood test anymre

15. babyboscher

Okay thank you everyone! I will look into some research!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook