About ready to give up

C1a1r319

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ketoacidosis
Just feel like I'm different from every person out there, like an alien, because this won't work for me, I feel ill on it and I feel like I'm dragging myself around all the time. It's not nice.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just feel like I'm different from every person out there, like an alien, because this won't work for me, I feel ill on it and I feel like I'm dragging myself around all the time. It's not nice.
do what the other LCHF'ers are doing and eat more fat, I don't think any are on 1200 cal.
A very calorie reduction diet will make you flat as your body shuts down to starvation mode and should only be done for 2 to 3 months max.. IMO

C1a1r319

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ketoacidosis
It is indeed. Can you ask you Dr about checking thyroid antibodies? And possibly also your pituitary.
He put antibodies on the last test so I will see what result that brings.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh love, I feel for you.

That dreadful dragging feeling, never having the energy to function.

With me, it was PCOS combined with a pituitary gland tumour (benign).

I don't have enough medical knowledge to advise you, but have they done a full spectrum of hormone tests? No one had tested me for anything for years, and I had been running with over 40x the usual level of prolactin for years (possibly 20!).

Of course, I'm not suggesting that you have the same thing, but it may well be that you have something.

Totto's suggestion about thyroid may help. You are near the bottom of the range.
My mother has has to fight for thyroid medication for most of her adult life. She is at the bottom of the 'normal' range, but having medication transforms her life. And every time she sees a new doctor, she has to start the battle again because they all think it is unnecessary.

It really does sound like you are in ketosis, so I suggest that there is some other factor involved. Do you know what your vit D level is?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
ive never detected any keytones, ive only ever checked a couple of times and used the ketostix but it showed no keytones , cant help im afraid, just thought id share that you wasnt the only one, or an alien, unless we are both aliens of course :meh:

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
do what the other LCHF'ers are doing and eat more fat, I don't think any are on 1200 cal.
A very calorie reduction diet will make you flat as your body shuts down to starvation mode and should only be done for 2 to 3 months max.. IMO
I'm on 1200 calories too. I don't lose weight if I eat more fat, though I do try to vary the amount I eat and also vary the amount of exercise to keep my metabolism guessing, I feel for you, LCHF alone did not work for me either and I don't have PCOS. It did sort out my BG's quickly and easily, but I only lost 7 pounds in 2 years of LCHF, that's not enough if like me you have several stones to lose. It' s horrid when you feel you're the only one who is like this.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
We don't watch anything but carb intake to be honest.

My hubby has lost 4st and now ideal 12st 3lb. I haven't lost anything but, never needed to. (Initially I did lose some lb's but balanced out).

He has never plateau'd. He justwatches his exercise n carbs. He has kep to under 60g a day no matter what.

Today, he has had steak n asparagus, cabbage, runner beans n leeks with lashings of butter. Then a homemade paleo blueberry muffin with a scoop of ben n jerrys peanut something icecream and this morn was tinned mackerel for breakfast. Then a bottle of red wine between us.oh and coffees with cream and wensleydale and brie cheese later...so hardly starving!!!!! Food like this most days... Tomorrow will be homemade courgette lasagne. He still continues to lose ounces everyday..... We now need to find a way to stabilise...

He is now active all day though and that is a helluva difference from previous years.

He is now absolutely gorgeous and sexy and so fantastic. I am so proud of him, its the best he has looked in 20 years.
I so hope that others can achieve same as my hubby, as I amso proud its like bursting at the seams.. But in reverse!!!xx

C1a1r319

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ketoacidosis
Oh love, I feel for you.

That dreadful dragging feeling, never having the energy to function.

With me, it was PCOS combined with a pituitary gland tumour (benign).

I don't have enough medical knowledge to advise you, but have they done a full spectrum of hormone tests? No one had tested me for anything for years, and I had been running with over 40x the usual level of prolactin for years (possibly 20!).

Of course, I'm not suggesting that you have the same thing, but it may well be that you have something.

Totto's suggestion about thyroid may help. You are near the bottom of the range.
My mother has has to fight for thyroid medication for most of her adult life. She is at the bottom of the 'normal' range, but having medication transforms her life. And every time she sees a new doctor, she has to start the battle again because they all think it is unnecessary.

It really does sound like you are in ketosis, so I suggest that there is some other factor involved. Do you know what your vit D level is?
I had low vit D levels. My doctor called me and told me to take vitamin D, but it didn't make a lot of difference to my energy levels. I just feel like this is more than that. It's extreme tiredness, like my legs are heavy, but I thought it was the transition to low carb and where I can't seem to get keto adapted. The diet has helped my blood glucose levels. It is very hard to achieve weight loss with type1 alone, so with PCOS and slightly low thyroid it has been hell. I have struggled with my weight. The only time I have been successful in losing weight is when I have has to resort to starvation or over exercising. I feel deflated because I thought this diet would be the answer, it is sadly not.

C1a1r319

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ketoacidosis
I'm on 1200 calories too. I don't lose weight if I eat more fat, though I do try to vary the amount I eat and also vary the amount of exercise to keep my metabolism guessing, I feel for you, LCHF alone did not work for me either and I don't have PCOS. It did sort out my BG's quickly and easily, but I only lost 7 pounds in 2 years of LCHF, that's not enough if like me you have several stones to lose. It' s horrid when you feel you're the only one who is like this.
Yes I have a good 2 -3 stone to lose to reach a comfortable weight. I have lowered calories, but I feel like trash. It's like I can't have the full package. Lose weight, good blood sugars, energy and feeling healthy. If I could have anything for Christmas, that would be what I wish for... That or to banish diabetes.

C1a1r319

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ketoacidosis
ive never detected any keytones, ive only ever checked a couple of times and used the ketostix but it showed no keytones , cant help im afraid, just thought id share that you wasnt the only one, or an alien, unless we are both aliens of course :meh:
Right... It's final... We are aliens.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah.

The last time I visited the endocrinology clinic I had put on a few pounds (over 18 months).
The consultant smiled, congratulated me, and said ' believe me, with micro prolactinoma, that is really not so much'.

It blew me away. All the years of doctors and family and friends telling me I should lose, and here was someone who actually understood my situation, being accepting of the daily reality I live with.

I cried all the way home in the car. Just having someone let me be was priceless.

(NB ironically I've lost a wee bit of weight since then! But it is incredibly slow - maybe a pound a month - at a guess, and I refuse to weigh, or set targets, or get stressed about it, because that will derail any tiny progress I've made)

The heavy limbed thing you describe is something I get when my insulin resistance goes through the roof. Does that ring any bells?

Also, I have no idea how you do low carb (we all do it differently), but do you drink a lot of sugar free diet drinks? I know that @zand has had tremendous problems with them and their effect on her body. I can't tolerate artificial sweeteners either. And they definitely seem to raise my insulin resistence.

And has your vit d level been retested? If it hasn't risen, you may need a different type, or bigger doses.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You seem to have a lot going on, maybe now is not the time to be trying to loose weight.

Vitamin D deficiency can make you feel terrible (been there got the t-shirt). I'm prescribed 2 x Calcichew D3 Forte per day, but this is not enough to keep me feeling ok and supplement with extra Vitamin D.

I'll just put my little list of causes of tiredness, so you can have a think about other causes.
  1. Underactive Thyroid
  2. High blood sugars
  3. Iron deficiency anaemia
  4. Vitamin D deficiency
  5. Vitamin B12 deficiency
  6. Depression
  7. Stress
  8. Sleep Apnea
  9. Not getting enough sleep or good quality sleep

Reactions: 4 people

C1a1r319

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ketoacidosis
Yeah.

The last time I visited the endocrinology clinic I had put on a few pounds (over 18 months).
The consultant smiled, congratulated me, and said ' believe me, with micro prolactinoma, that is really not so much'.

It blew me away. All the years of doctors and family and friends telling me I should lose, and here was someone who actually understood my situation, being accepting of the daily reality I live with.

I cried all the way home in the car. Just having someone let me be was priceless.

(NB ironically I've lost a wee bit of weight since then! But it is incredibly slow - maybe a pound a month - at a guess, and I refuse to weigh, or set targets, or get stressed about it, because that will derail any tiny progress I've made)

The heavy limbed thing you describe is something I get when my insulin resistance goes through the roof. Does that ring any bells?

Also, I have no idea how you do low carb (we all do it differently), but do you drink a lot of sugar free diet drinks? I know that @zand has had tremendous problems with them and their effect on her body. I can't tolerate artificial sweeteners either. And they definitely seem to raise my insulin resistence.

And has your vit d level been retested? If it hasn't risen, you may need a different type, or bigger doses.
Because of my PCOS I am susceptible to insulin resistance, I'm type 1, though so double whammy. I take metformin for this and my sugars have been good. I never have artificial sweeteners. My diet has been the cleanest in years. I haven't had it retested but I had a guilty blood count test done the other day so maybe that will show something.

Reactions: 4 people

C1a1r319

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ketoacidosis
You seem to have a lot going on, maybe now is not the time to be trying to loose weight.

Vitamin D deficiency can make you feel terrible (been there got the t-shirt). I'm prescribed 2 x Calcichew D3 Forte per day, but this is not enough to keep me feeling ok and supplement with extra Vitamin D.

I'll just put my little list of causes of tiredness, so you can have a think about other causes.
  1. Underactive Thyroid
  2. High blood sugars
  3. Iron deficiency anaemia
  4. Vitamin D deficiency
  5. Vitamin B12 deficiency
  6. Depression
  7. Stress
  8. Sleep Apnea
  9. Not getting enough sleep or good quality sleep
Having underactive thyroid tested again, along with anti bodies. Never have high blood sugars and rarely above 12 mmol/l. The only deficiency that came up was vitamin D. As I take metformin vit b deficiency is a risk. As I suffer from PCOS sleep apnoea is a risk. I'm mainly getting depressed because nothing is working for me and I'm slowly giving up. I have been trying to lose weight for a year with no success whatsoever. They all are potential risks like the general population I suppose. Just wish this would all just get sorted.

scoyyt57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did your Dr prescribe vit D for you? When I was tested my levels were non existent. I was put on 10,000mg daily for 3 months and I now take 2 adcal morning and evening. I felt terrible before this was sorted out. Lo carb didn't work for me either sent my BS really high and didn't matter what I tried it didn't come down.. I'm now back at weightwatchers and have lost 7lbs so far. My daughter who has PCOS has lost 13lbs over the last 7 weeks.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Honestly, I'm surprised at your willpower in sticking with something that makes you feel so bad. You must be keto adapted or you wouldn't be getting the levels of blood ketones that you are. I only ever get over 0.1 if I'm fasting.

I would be asking for more tests - though sounds like it's a lot easier for us in Australia than it is in the UK. Any chance of getting a referral to an endocrinologist? That would be my first stop.

If I felt that badly on low carb, I'd start upping the level using things like sweet potato, to see if I felt better.

Hope you can sort out something because you sound at the end of your tether :arghh:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb doesn't work for everyone - no diet ever does! And I wish you all the best in finding one that DOES work, but please don't convince yourself that your symptoms are caused by your current diet.

You have clearly not yet exhausted the hormone imbalance possibilities, or had your vit d levels re-checked.
Or investigated half the things on Denise's list.

You've got a long way to go, by way of tests and experimentation, and bullying your medical professionals, before every avenue has been followed to a dead end.

And, at the same time, if you want to eat more carbs, you can do that anytime, whenever you like. I do. ;)