About to be diagnosed

buluttrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all.

Had my blood tests and diabetes review on Friday.

My regular nurse tells me the glucose test has come back as 82 which means the diabetic nurse is likely to put me on Metformin. Cholesterol test is also way too high.

No surprise really as I'm 5ft 6 and weigh 15st 2lb with a terrible diet, too much snacking when I've got lots of time on my hands. I keep getting told I need to change this, but at 54 years old, it's not easy to do. Sat working from home is great on the wallet, but not so great when it comes to exercise, especially with the terrible British weather.

My main concern about going on Metformin is whether it interacts with Warfarin which I've been on for the best part of 25 years due to 2 blood clots.

Does anyone have any experience of taking Metformin and Warfarin and whether there is any issues taking both ?

Thanks.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take Metformin, and Rivaroxiban and Aspirin for blood thinning, no problems at all. However some studies have shown Metformin may reduce the efficacy of Anticoagulants. Your doctor will most likely schedule blood tests to check all is working ok, mine does.

oldminer88

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Suppose you heard this a thousand times , loose some weight and get umbrella not going to alter weather. But you made me feel good same height 10st walk 15000 steps everyday come rain or shine, cholesterol 3 and been nattering to death about H1ac being 46

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Had my blood tests and diabetes review on Friday.

My regular nurse tells me the glucose test has come back as 82 which means the diabetic nurse is likely to put me on Metformin. Cholesterol test is also way too high.

No surprise really as I'm 5ft 6 and weigh 15st 2lb with a terrible diet, too much snacking when I've got lots of time on my hands. I keep getting told I need to change this, but at 54 years old, it's not easy to do. Sat working from home is great on the wallet, but not so great when it comes to exercise, especially with the terrible British weather.

My main concern about going on Metformin is whether it interacts with Warfarin which I've been on for the best part of 25 years due to 2 blood clots.

Does anyone have any experience of taking Metformin and Warfarin and whether there is any issues taking both ?

Thanks.
Can't help with the meds, not my area of expertise. But while being sedentary doesn't exactly help, it's the low carb diet that's an excellent method of getting this licked, really... https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html should help some with that. And if you know you snack out of boredom and that it's not likely to change, then at least switch to snacks that won't up your blood glucose overmuch, like olives, cheese, eggs, cold cuts and the like.

You can get a handle on this. And if you tackle it properly, you might not even need to know whether there are interactions with metformin, because you might not even need it.

Good luck!
Jo
PS: I know, cheese and such sounds like it won't do your cholesterol any favours, but it should go down as your blood sugars lower as well. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier and lessci