About to start on Insulin: What to expect?

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Generally T2 is when there body resists the insulin released by the pancreas. What is called insulin resistance. This matter be on its own or accompanied by reduced production of insulin. At some point the pancreas produces very little or almost no insulin, hence the need to add it to the treatment.
Not everyone with T2 will need insulin, but some information I've seen suggests that most T2, given enough time will need to start insulin.

Yes I'm one of those people.... managed to control with diet only for 7 years, then oral medications for 5 years, and been on insulin since beginning of 2010. I can't come off it because my insulin production is too low.

Reactions: MEValentijn

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
'isms'. Not being able to eat potatoes.
The most remarkable thing I found after starting insulin is how quickly I got used to it. And regarding driving: test very often as long as your still finding out what the insulin does to your bg, test moderately often after you think you get it, as diabetes can be unpredictable at times.
I did this two months ago. After years of struggling with oral meds I’ve found it really easy. Much more stable bgl's. I have heart failure so my issue is insulin resistance and being weaned off of Metformin (also have kidney disease). So I now walk for an increasing number of minutes after every meal. So far so good. I think you'll be surprised by how easy it is.
Also NDSS run workshops on using insulin. Contact your state diabetes association. I got invited without having to ask. And you'll need a change of medication form from your GP. Luckily my Chemistry st is lively, gave me my first lot while I organised the form, noone ekse jnew has needed it. After that you won’t need the six monthly approval for test strips any more either.

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
I have been on insulin for a month as would like to just say that it is possible to get a 'Low' reading very quickly... as in from say 7 or 8 to less than 4 in under a couple of hours (This is my experience) So testing every 2 hours is really important if you wish to avoid hypos. I never dreamed that in my first week I would ever go that low! I did and do daily!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on insulin for a month as would like to just say that it is possible to get a 'Low' reading very quickly... as in from say 7 or 8 to less than 4 in under a couple of hours (This is my experience) So testing every 2 hours is really important if you wish to avoid hypos. I never dreamed that in my first week I would ever go that low! I did and do daily!

poemagraphic, you have replied to several very old threads of late. That doesn't often lead to productive relies and discussion. The original poster in this thread was last seen in June 2018.

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
poemagraphic, you have replied to several very old threads of late. That doesn't often lead to productive relies and discussion. The original poster in this thread was last seen in June 2018.

Oh! Thanks for that. I am reading lots of old posts its true. I am learning so much from what others have written.
I will be more selective in my comments and reply's regarding older posts from now on.

Thank you for your continued support, help and advice.

Reactions: NaijaChick