Abscesses on pump site

Emma04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been on pump for little over a year now. I'm on the omnipod having no problems. However I've just developed an allergy with the plaster this has now developed into a very painful abscess. I'm in agony running out of places to put my pod. I've told my diabetic nurse about this but she said get a barrier cream. I got the barrier cream and now I've got abscesses??? Can any one else advise as it's the size of my fist and I'm in complete agony.
Regards,
Emma

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been on pump for little over a year now. I'm on the omnipod having no problems. However I've just developed an allergy with the plaster this has now developed into a very painful abscess. I'm in agony running out of places to put my pod. I've told my diabetic nurse about this but she said get a barrier cream. I got the barrier cream and now I've got abscesses??? Can any one else advise as it's the size of my fist and I'm in complete agony.
Regards,
Emma

Well, for a start, go now to A and E or the walk in by it if there is one , do not wait - if you have not anyone to give you a lift, get a cab, you do not want to drive even if you have a car, if you are in severe pain. It sounds as if you need to be seen asap. if you have no where to put the pump, go back to injections while this sorts out, as any inflammation at a site will prevent insulin absorbing properly.
I hope things work out, do not leave things

Reactions: himtoo

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Can any one else advise as it's the size of my fist and I'm in complete agony.

Emma that's not good, as @ann34+ says get yourself straight to your Dr's or local A&E, for the time being go back to using your pens if you can't apply a new pod and ring your diabetes clinic this morning and say you want to speak with a DSN urgently.

Good luck and hope all works out well.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, get that seen straight away. Don't be put off. Get the immediate attention that needs.

Take care X

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hope you have taken the advice to get it seen now and you are feeling more comfortable.
If you have an abscess then I doubt the tape would cause it and it's more likely to be the pod insertion. So make double sure your skin is clean before using another pod.

vans

Hi Emma
I'm using omnipod too. They have recently changed their adhesive and I got terrible allergic reaction. So bad even with barrier cream that I've gone back to my old tubed pump.
Ypsomed will confirm this if you call their care line (same one you use to order pods)
They've now suggested buying hydrocolloid plasters / patches from chemist, cutting a hole for cannula and then applying pod. Haven't tried it yet but plan to today as I miss my pod!
Hope you're feeling better. Call the care line and they'll add you to the list to ring when they get new stock in.

Reactions: himtoo and azure