1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Abscesses on pump site

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Emma04, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Emma04

Emma04 Type 1 · Newbie

I've been on pump for little over a year now. I'm on the omnipod having no problems. However I've just developed an allergy with the plaster this has now developed into a very painful abscess. I'm in agony running out of places to put my pod. I've told my diabetic nurse about this but she said get a barrier cream. I got the barrier cream and now I've got abscesses??? Can any one else advise as it's the size of my fist and I'm in complete agony.
    Regards,
    Emma

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. ann34+

ann34+ Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well, for a start, go now to A and E or the walk in by it if there is one , do not wait - if you have not anyone to give you a lift, get a cab, you do not want to drive even if you have a car, if you are in severe pain. It sounds as if you need to be seen asap. if you have no where to put the pump, go back to injections while this sorts out, as any inflammation at a site will prevent insulin absorbing properly.
    I hope things work out, do not leave things

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Yep, go to A&E and good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Emma that's not good, as @ann34+ says get yourself straight to your Dr's or local A&E, for the time being go back to using your pens if you can't apply a new pod and ring your diabetes clinic this morning and say you want to speak with a DSN urgently.

Good luck and hope all works out well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Yes, get that seen straight away. Don't be put off. Get the immediate attention that needs.

Take care X

• Like Like x 1
  6. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hope you have taken the advice to get it seen now and you are feeling more comfortable.
    If you have an abscess then I doubt the tape would cause it and it's more likely to be the pod insertion. So make double sure your skin is clean before using another pod.

7. vans

vans · Well-Known Member

Hi Emma
    I'm using omnipod too. They have recently changed their adhesive and I got terrible allergic reaction. So bad even with barrier cream that I've gone back to my old tubed pump.
    Ypsomed will confirm this if you call their care line (same one you use to order pods)
    They've now suggested buying hydrocolloid plasters / patches from chemist, cutting a hole for cannula and then applying pod. Haven't tried it yet but plan to today as I miss my pod!
    Hope you're feeling better. Call the care line and they'll add you to the list to ring when they get new stock in.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook