Absolutely No Idea!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. As others have said keep the carbs down; no need to stop completely but have low-GI ones when you can. Don't interpret the HF bit of LCHF as a need to stuff yourself with fat; just have enough to keep yourself feeling full and satisfied. Protein is fine and so is non-root veg and some fruit (not exotic due to high sugar). A blood sugar of 27 is not good and will be starting to do harm and may make you feel tired and irritable; into the 30s and you can be in trouble. With a low-carb diet the BS should come down fast. As others have said, I would avoid any of the slimming clubs. First they or their products cost money and most still live in the old world of calorie-counting. Diabetics need to think carbs and so, in fact, does everyone but you can't change the world overnight

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome.

I can't add much to the advice given above. All I can do is tell you what happened to me. I cut the carbs down and increased my dairy fats enough to recoup some of the lost calories. I don't go overboard with fats, but I do not actively avoid them. I eat butter, full fat yogurts, mayonnaise, cheese. I ditched all the low fat substitutes, partly because of added sugar and partly because they are full of chemicals and nasty vegetable oils. I am no longer afraid of a fry up with bacon, eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes, which are cooked in rapeseed oil and the mushrooms in butter. I have lost 3st. 8lbs and am now at target weight. (stopping losing more is the hard bit on this diet). I counted my carbs and I also counted my calories as this is important in my view to get the right calorie balance. My blood sugars have come down, and just yesterday I had my latest cholesterol test results back - all lipids have improved on this diet.

Do get yourself a meter. It really is the only way to learn what you can eat. Ask as many questions as you wish.

Reactions: 2 people

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there,
Thanks for your reply. Interesting to see you med details too.
Thank you.

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Guys,
Thank you all for your welcome and replies. It's really interesting to read your replies and hear a little about your own stories.
I have had my meeting with the practice nurse - my blood glucose had gone from 27 to 31 ... not the right direction there, then.
But, as a result I have now got:
an additional medication to take first thing in the morning,
an eye test,
a dietician's appointment,
strips to test for ketones,
an appointment with the practice nurse next week (and the next and the next)
and
a blood monitoring kit!
Apparently a second blood test looking at blood glucose over recent weeks, (I don't know what its called, but I'm sure you all do!) was recording 117 and 128 and it should have been around 48 ... does that make sense to anyone?
Sorry, what a ramble.
Thanks for taking the time to listen.
BG

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
@BeeGee,
Not good figures but you should be able to get on the right track, albeit with medication to start with.

If you could give us an idea of what you eat in a day as detailed as you can, along with your height weight etc I am sure people on here can give you some advice as to how to lower your readings.

This forum has certainly helped my to get my blood sugar down to an acceptable level.

Good luck and let's try to get you moving in the right direction, but at the end of the day you need to be focused on this as well.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Great news they gave you a meter! You can now start to use it to teach you which foods you can and can't cope with, and find a good diet that suits you and that you can sustain. Also good news they have put you on the diabetes care pathway.

The blood test you refer to sounds like an HbA1c test, and you must realise your levels are very high. As you said, 48 and over is diabetic. Perhaps you can ring up and ask for a print out of your various blood tests. You will find these very useful for comparison when you start to get this under control - and I'm sure you will.

Use your meter to test immediately before you eat, then again 2 hours after your first bite. Look at the difference in levels. Try to keep it under 2.5mmol/l (preferably under 2mmol/) to begin with. If it spikes higher there is something in that meal that needs either avoiding or reducing in quantity. Best to keep a food diary of everything you eat/drink and the portions of the carbs. Record your levels alongside. Then you can look back and see patterns emerging.

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Great news they gave you a meter! You can now start to use it to teach you which foods you can and can't cope with, and find a good diet that suits you and that you can sustain. Also good news they have put you on the diabetes care pathway.

The blood test you refer to sounds like an HbA1c test, and you must realise your levels are very high. As you said, 48 and over is diabetic. Perhaps you can ring up and ask for a print out of your various blood tests. You will find these very useful for comparison when you start to get this under control - and I'm sure you will.

Use your meter to test immediately before you eat, then again 2 hours after your first bite. Look at the difference in levels. Try to keep it under 2.5mmol/l (preferably under 2mmol/) to begin with. If it spikes higher there is something in that meal that needs either avoiding or reducing in quantity. Best to keep a food diary of everything you eat/drink and the portions of the carbs. Record your levels alongside. Then you can look back and see patterns emerging.[/QUO

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That, Bluetit, is REALLY useful.
Yes, the HbA1c sounds familiar.
Really appreciate the advice about when to test bloods and especially how to use the information.
Thank you.
BG

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@BeeGee,
Not good figures but you should be able to get on the right track, albeit with medication to start with.

If you could give us an idea of what you eat in a day as detailed as you can, along with your height weight etc I am sure people on here can give you some advice as to how to lower your readings.

This forum has certainly helped my to get my blood sugar down to an acceptable level.

Good luck and let's try to get you moving in the right direction, but at the end of the day you need to be focused on this as well.

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HI there,
Thanks for your reply and encouragement.
Will do a food diary!
BG

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, started to measure/monitor blood sugars today ... 15.1 before having evening meal.
Lowest I've been for a while.
Had lunch at 11:45, evening meal at half seven.... possibly too long a gap between meals .... hmmm.
Waiting to test again just before 10pm.
I'll let you all know how it goes!
BG

K

Kat100

Hello , it a welcome from me....
More later .. Because you have a lot to read and think about at the moment ....
You will be an expert soon ...but it is really a life long learning challenge you are taking on ....
Take care ..best wishes ...Kat

Reactions: 3 people