1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Absorption Issues

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Topher, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Topher

Topher Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi All, does anyone have absorption issues at certain areas on their body. I find anywhere other than my belly and around the side of my hip works very well. But around the back and the top of the bum and legs, the absorption is pretty poor: in that pre meal i would be about 6.1mmol, i would then spike to about 13 mmol but come back down to normal levels after 4 hours. But when i have my cannula in my belly or hip, i wouldn't generally go up higher than 10mmol, i am worried that i will being using my good areas too much, and i might start to affect the absorption in these areas as well - has anyone had the same issue, or any advice - thanks

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Yes I do @Topher, certain area's around the stomach are hit & miss so tend to leave well alone, I found the sides work well with my pods and the backs of my arms, not tried my bum yet but did have a few issues there when injecting but it may have had sufficient time to recover since.

3. masonbason63

masonbason63 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes I have problems, but it's my arms where I used them constantly for over 20 years now it's very hit and miss if I use them for a rapid bolus

4. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Yes, I have bad areas. I can't use my tummy at all as that seems to have stopped working and never recovered. There's also an area on my bum that doesn't absorb as well as other areas there. My thighs are ok but one of them does have a patch where absorption isn't so good.

It does worry me sometimes, but I try to rotate sites as much as I can, and use different sets as necessary.

5. -Artemis-

-Artemis- Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Same -- still trying to get sets to work in my bum as at the moment only my tum seems to work with any certainty...

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook