Accessing support services

leggott

Hi, ours have to0. I have constant communication with my kids diabetic nurse who visits me every couple of months and who is contactable all the time. They also visit the childrens hospital every 3 months. My Gp who is also availalbe and has been extremely helpful with this and other matters. I actually think the care that my children recieve is much better than my husband who is also type 1. leggott

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've never been unable to access our diabetes care team. When Jess was diagnosed we were given office and mobile numbers for our diabetes nurse and consultant with an invitation to call either of them at any time that we were concerned about anything. Our diabetes nurse has been excellent visiting us at home on occasions to deliver additional test meters, novopens etc that we've needed at various times. Our diabetes nurse has visited our school three times over the past 4 years now to explain diabetes and Jess' care to the teachers. I couldn't ask for better service in that respect, always available and always very willing to help where they can.

I tried to persuade the D Nurse to come into my school because we have 9 T1s on-site (incl. staff) and a handful of T2s. I was concerned the staff didn't seem to know who the diabetic children were and I didn't want that for my daughter. I've also felt the D Nurse can sometimes be more concerned with the condition and not the person suffering it. If I need to contact my D nurse, I have to call between 9-5 Mon to Fri. Out of those hours, I have to call the paediatric obs ward.