Accu-Chek Insight Problems

MikeRavo91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone

My partner has just moved from an Animas pump using Humalog to an Accu-Chek Insight using Novorapid.

Since then her blood sugars have been running really high and she is having to take much more insulin. She has always taken 1 unit to drop 2mmol but not her blood sugar is currently 22 and she has taken 25 units over 2 hours.

She's said this had actually just started about two weeks ago while still on humalog so I'm starting to think maybe her tolerance is changing. But it doesn't happen that quickly does it?
She's 34 now and was only diagnosed 5 years ago. I thought tolerances tended to change around puberty.

Any advice would be marvellous.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @MikeRavo91 these two insulins are not identical, there are differences between them and the way our bodies react with them. I moved over some 3 years ago, I think I had to increase my dose but don't have any records going back that far.

RLMorgan

Hi Mike,

If I get a Hi BG using my Accu-Check insight, I make sure that my cannula isn't leaking from any part of it at all.
A quick check can be had by dabbing a kitchen towel on the cannula after a bolus to see if you can see a wet patch.
I now see that 50% of my Hi BG's are caused by mechanical problems with the cannulas. Its not much of a problem if you know what your looking for.
You need to know what your Hi BG responses are and react quickly (after a test of course).
Also if I catch the pipe leading to the cannula, this normally leads to cannula issues.