Accu Chek Insight Pump

submarinerLV

After 4 years of being on the Accu Chek Spirit Combo Pump, I am due to be upgraded to the new Insight pump.

Would like to know from people who are on the Insight pump, how they are finding it, etc and also the same for people like myself coming from the Spirit Combo, what to expect, etc.

Many thanks all.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive just started on Insight. Its my first pump but I know combo as I look after a diabetic child in the school I work and she is on combo. Its all great, smaller, was told it has some more functions but the handset will drive you crazy. it is very slow :( Its touch screen and it looks more modern but I would prefer to have combo handset to be honest.

Reactions: 4 people

submarinerLV

Interesting to hear that the handset on the Insight is slow compared to the Combo. That's certainly not progress!

What are the benefits / improvements of the Insight pump over the Spirit Combo?

I've heard that the Insight comes with pre filled cartridges now and a battery battery sealed compartment so now more filling and priming infusion sets like with the Spirit Combo?

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interesting to hear that the handset on the Insight is slow compared to the Combo. That's certainly not progress!

I've heard that the Insight comes with pre filled cartridges now and a battery battery sealed compartment so now more filling and priming infusion sets like with the Spirit Combo?
I cant really advise on this. I do use combo handset on a daily basis but I have never changed battery or cartridge on that pump (her parents do it).
Cartriges in insight are pre filled and its all very easy to operate. Its a great pump but I think handset is a bit of a failure. I was just going to start another thread on it, as apart from being sluggish it also freezes, when you put the blood sample too early (at least mine does)

Reactions: 2 people

submarinerLV

It's a shame some sort of future software update couldn't be made available to fix sluggishness on the meter but then again, no internet connection or port to connect doesn't appear likely that that will ever happen.

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not

Yes the insight does come with the prefilled cartridges but only 1.6ml and the battery compartment is a sealed lid that I have replaced battery after five weeks, and the battery cover should be changed every 6 months but blimey what a fiddly critter that is with Chunky fingers and can't see very well.

The hand set is so so sllooowwww it's a booming a nuisance and I have just found the whole experience a bit over whelming at the moment and am really starting to struggle with the whole diabetes issue (type 1 40yrs, pumping 15yrs)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes the insight does come with the prefilled cartridges but only 1.6ml and the battery compartment is a sealed lid that I have replaced battery after five weeks, and the battery cover should be changed every 6 months but blimey what a fiddly critter that is with Chunky fingers and can't see very well.

The hand set is so so sllooowwww it's a booming a nuisance and I have just found the whole experience a bit over whelming at the moment and am really starting to struggle with the whole diabetes issue (type 1 40yrs, pumping 15yrs)

I was 'upgraded' to the Insight last year and hated it. I gave it back after a couple,of weeks as it was driving me mad. It was a lot of faffing about, too much stuff to carry about, too much recharging/changing of components. It really got me down and I was SO happy to go back on my old pump.

Victorri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I spoke to Roche a couple of weeks ago and they told me they are producing a upgrade for the insight handset. So fingers crossed it will make it quicker

LittleMiss77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive just started on Insight. Its my first pump but I know combo as I look after a diabetic child in the school I work and she is on combo. Its all great, smaller, was told it has some more functions but the handset will drive you crazy. it is very slow :( Its touch screen and it looks more modern but I would prefer to have combo handset to be honest.
Started on Insight Pump two months ago, it is my first pump and I love it but still needs a few adjustments. Early days. The handset is a little slow, but I am getting used to it.
Lots to learn.

Reactions: 2 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all, I am researching the Insight. Can anyone say what Roche means by "Multiple boluses can run in parallel?"
If you use extended boluses you can run few at the same time. I still dont know how to use it safely but working on it :)

Hannibal

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
My daughter was on the Combo for four years but was upgraded to the Insight back in July. Like Azure we have handed it back and got a new Combo as a replacement. We're all much happier, not only because we have a handset that actually responds at a reasonable pace and a handset that doesn't need charging every other day but also we have also gone back to the link assist cannulas instead of the link assist plus which, in our view are also much better as the plus cannulas are more fiddly thanks to the new Health and Safety additions

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm happy with the pump and the customer care from Roche. I had a battery depletion issue and they replaced the pump next day no quibbles. Yes the handset is slow, but certainly lasts more than two days on full charge, and I can be using it quite a lot if exercising.

Overall I can only compare it to the CellNovo, but I find it much better than that. More sensitive insulin delivery, handset is better, less wasteful. But in my case the 1.6 ml reservoir is ideal as I'm using <10U per day total, so it's always a matter of what meets your needs as well.