accu-chek "mobile"

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I love my Mobile meter that is for my son (4yrs). Nearly every child has one here, they have become so popular.

The pros I like are that it is all-in-one. No fiddling with test strips, the lancer is together but can be removed and personally I find it uses half the blood of my Optimum Xceed. Easy for the novice to use and the people that care for Khaleb are far in favour of the new meter. I really like the built in alarm function.

The cons I find are that it is a bit chunky and noisy. I do think that meters that come with a cassette should also have a slot to store a spare. I did leave it in the car for a fairly short time and I think the heat affected it and it gave me an instruction to change the cassette. I am more careful now. This meter can't be shared so no good if kids want to test each other in an effort to break down some barriers.

I've met a couple of people that just didn't like it or had queries on it's accuracy.

jenny50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
my Crohns disease
I was in my regular local pharmacy this morning and by chance the Accu-chek rep was in there, my OH being a bit nosy spoke to him about the new mobile meter, and he went out to his car and came back with a new meter an a box of lancets with his compliments.
Luckily I do not pay for my script anyway, which was confirmed by the chemists staff so i did not feel I was conning him, but he was a very nice young man, and I thanked him very much and assured him I would give it a fair test before choosing which to continue using.
Talk about right place right time :D
I will let you know how I get on with it

twisty

Quick question; the finger pricker-Are the lancets individual, ie have to change them once a day, or does it contain the 6 needles in one so it's weekly, just twisting it to a new needle every day??
I was advised by the nurse that my 7.5year old would not manage it and the changing lancets daily was an issue...

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
twisty said:
Quick question; the finger pricker-Are the lancets individual, ie have to change them once a day, or does it contain the 6 needles in one so it's weekly, just twisting it to a new needle every day??
I was advised by the nurse that my 7.5year old would not manage it and the changing lancets daily was an issue...

It all depends what finger pricker you are using ?? Some are individual, others multi lancets.

It is up to the individual how often they change them although it is 'recommended' they be changed each time of use. Personally I use an Accu-Chek Multiclix which has a barrel of 6 lancets and change that once a week however often it gets used.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Nigel, they do :lol:
I was having probs with my Compact plus and called them up for a replacement. While on line I managed to blag a "Mobile" instead. :lol: :lol:

twisty

cugila said:
twisty said:

It all depends what finger pricker you are using ?? Some are individual, others multi lancets.

It is up to the individual how often they change them although it is 'recommended' they be changed each time of use. Personally I use an Accu-Chek Multiclix which has a barrel of 6 lancets and change that once a week however often it gets used.

I was just wondering about the finger pricker that comes with the mobile one...has it individual lancets or the barrell of 6...sorry for not making that clearer :oops:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi everyone, I use a accu-check aviva that I love , its light weight n compact easy to use and take with me everywhere in its case. Am after getting the accu-check aviva expert next its an BS plus carb calculator ideal for my carb n bolus counting with insulin regime... I Do have a completely never opened and unused roche accu-check mobile still in its box n fully packaged up! [complete with 50 strip cassette cartridge] Have read n heard that some type2's struggle to get these ? mine was complimentary sent out to me in the post via clinic. If any type2's need this to get started with testing BS daily let me know? [just pay postage out] The mobile is chunkier n heavier to carry round than my aviva and thats how n why never even opened it! Could have flogged it on ebay, but there is a greater need out here with the type2's that struggle to even get them. Thanks. Anna.x

DogPsyche

Hi Anna
I'm a Type 2 and have needed an Accu Chek Mobile for ages as I work outside and have problems dealing with lancets and strips.

I could really use yours if you still have it? Of course I'll cover the postage.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, yes I 'do' still have the complete unopened n unused accu-check mobile, would love to let you have it , plus clear the cupboard space! Giv me a bell on my mobile or log onto my profile for my email address. thanks. Anna.x

DogPsyche

Many thanks Anna.

I couldn't find your email address on your profile so I've sent a PM through this forum with my email address on to get in touch. :D

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hiya, been trying to send email back to you n cant fathom it! Am not very good with computer wizardry still feeling my way round!!! Are we allowed to put our emails or mobile no's on here? Help... Anna.x

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
anna29 said:
Hiya, been trying to send email back to you n cant fathom it! Am not very good with computer wizardry still feeling my way round!!! Are we allowed to put our emails or mobile no's on here? Help... Anna.x

I have no idea what the present policy is regarding such things ? However personally I wouldn't advise it unless you want a million spam e-mails and/or abusive or worse phone calls.

Why not ask a Moderator or the administrator ........

DogPsyche

Well thanks to Anna I've been using the mobile for a few days now and its great. I've been testing it alongside my old meter to check its accuracy and its very good. The most important thing though is that I've been able to test in situations I normally wouldn't be able to and discovered my levels get worryingly low while I'm working. This has enabled me to make changes in my routine to stop this happening.

DogPsyche

Mmmm... I've tried THREE chemists today to try and get lancets and cassettes for the mobile without success. I've had to get them specially ordered in!

Spearmint

My daughter got one of these last month as i was struggling when testing her out and about standing up trying to hold everything!
It is sooo much easier and quicker, the display is easier to read in dimly lit areas, doesn't need much blood, results appear quickly.
The only downside, like others have said, is the noise of the cassette turning round if you are somewhere quiet.

Gillage

I have an Accu-Chek Mobile and an Accu-Chek Compact Plus - both of them I get test strips and lancets on prescription.

The first Mobile unit had to be returned to Accu-Chek as it was giving some very strange readings - approximately 3.0 out from the Compact Plus and the Aviva I had at the time.

The second one has been fine and is very good if you are going away on holiday, you sometimes need to take extra lancet drums with you as there are only 6 lancets in the drum and the unit is a bit bulky but I have always used the Accu-Chek meters and have been happy with the customer service, especially when I had the problem with the mobile.

I have always been given my meters, the mobile was given to me by my diabetes nurse who had been given a few and I just happened to be in the right place at the right time

jasemin

"The problems of the Accu-Chek" - report after two days as a student at Roche

I study chemistry in Germany. I had a 'Roche meets' visit for e-fellows (students that could work for Roche - advertising visit) at Roche Diagnostics, Mannheim, Germany. There was an visit through the development of diabetes meters. There, the Accu-Chek devices were developed. First there was the standard program with informatio about career at Roche. There were 1000 Power Point slides shown. Boring. It was the business model. Also, the importance of customers and patients. At the time I still believed that and thought it was great!
Then came the visit through the company. Many offices. A lot of logistics. But little technology.
In Mannheim, it is only the development for diabetes. Otherwise there is nothing more. It does not look for innovation.

The visit went into the development for Accu-Chek boodglucose meters. There is a room with lots of blood glucose meters. They let us try different Accu-Chek: Mobile, Compact, Nano. Since there were important models of meters by other companies. We could only view and not use it. When trying out the Accu-Chek has been with me my blood glucose had a very high value. The woman, who looked after us, said the wrong high values with the measured value is known. There is a problem with the technique. This was recognized in studies. It also had people in the clinic.
She has explanation : When the test strip is beeing pressed or moved, then the value change is different. Because the tape is deformed. Then, the light is measured with the wrong reflected. This also happens when the tape is moved by mistake. Then the dark bars are in the signal. This is a problem with the optical assembly.
As I understand it: the band is like a mirror that reflects the light back to the measuring unit (the red lights within the meter) differently, so that the device detects other, wrong values!
Another flaw: when the finger is not washed, then put any dirt on the tape. This mixes with the blood. This can also give false readings. Man, I should always wash your fingers. I was wondering: what if I'm on a trip? I can not always wash my hands. The answer was: you can not tape over the lead?. But old people get the point no. Not even people with low blood sugar. Or on the bus, if it wobbles.

The high values are also known by other users. In many forums it is reported. But the company does not care. The woman was delighted by the mechanical standard in Mobile. But what brings people with diabetes complicated technology, if not the result of sugar right? As developed by false pretenses!
A member of the development says, for admission in the clinical study were were cassettes pre-selected, pre-sorted. To make sure nothing happens! That said!!!

The employees also said that the new system, the successor of Mobile, there should be only better technology. Bluetooth, USB and so on. But to measure the volume and the type remains the same!
The error remains!
It does not get better, and Roche agrees that the wrong people measure.

It went on. In a laboratory. The people of the development in the narrow laboratory looked annoyed when we were out there. The measure thousand strips by hand every day. I asked a woman in a yellow shirt Whether the false with the values often occur? As pushed in between the lab director and said we need to leave the room because of risk of infection.

That was an interesting first day. I was very shocked? About the openness of me? Found was about? HAZARDOUS bug speak!

On days at most a nice man by the way said, that Roche is developing a whole new system (I have smartphone pictures from the flipcharts):
Arbeutet it with a new cNAD chemistry, which is insensitive to light and humidity. It was measured with UV. It should be as small lancets. Over a small canal, the blood comes automatically to the test area. It takes very little blood volume for 50 or more tests ona disk. It is a technical gimmick, a TOY - too fragile for each day measuring.
After what I've learned the day before this is still found as dangerous: The diabetic has no more influence on the measurement. The lower the blood volume, the sensitive system to dirt! Then again tinkered a technical gimmick. And diabetics, Roche does not matter.
About Facebook, I am in contact with one of the developers. It CONFIRMS my suspicions and says that Roche is no longer Boehringer. It would be saved. There are degraded places. The quality is too low.

The high-bay warehouse was the only technical highlight of the day. There was something to see what was modern times. It has surprised me? How easy everything was for Roche and how dreary and gray.

Known problems as to turn that it is sold is still not great.