Accu-chek plasma reading

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
So I have only just found out that accu-chek have changed their strips to this from the IDDT magazine and am not best pleased given they are happy to shower me with their emails telling me all their other products which can be bought but no actual useful information. It also explains quite a few odd results recently where I've felt considerably more hypo or not as hyper as the meter has said.

I would be grateful for recommendations as to other strips and meters to use. I have a one touch ultra that I received free from an offer but the only bit of the accu-chek I'd like to keep is the lancet device as I really like those 6 pack lancets things which are so easy to dispose of.

Any advice?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you're asking for a meter (actually the strips) that gives whole blood values you won't find that it the UK. Roche was the last to change and now all UK meters are plasma calibrated.
see http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Monitoring/Blood_glucose/Meters/
There is only 11-12% difference, this wouldn't result in a reading that could be misconstrued as hypo when you were hyper, a reading of 4mmol on a 'whole blood meter' would be the same as one of 4.5mmol on a plasma one.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
As you are a T1 and obviously an Insulin user why not give Lifescan a ring and get yourself a Onetouch Ultrasmart, a godsend for Insulin users. While you are at it get them to send you the UltraEasy as well, ideal to keep in your pocket or bag whilst on the move. I got both for free and the downloadable software is great.

I have both meters and use the Accu-Chek multiclix as well. Has to be one of the best combinations around. Both meters use the same test strips as well.

A link:
http://www.lifescan.co.uk/OurProducts/M ... fault.aspx

As Phoenix says, they are all going if not already that way.

Ken

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Aaagh!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the reply.

Oh well saves me the hassle of having to change but I am not happy.

Does anyone have a helpful guide to how the new values work with exact matches to figures?

I got the onetouch free. Do you think the strips are so much better?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just happened to do one for my blog (but please check for inaccuracies!)
:D

Attachments

• plasma whole blood.JPG
    plasma whole blood.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 689

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I got both the meters I mentioned for free as well.......they were/are happy to dish them out if you are a Type 1.

If you want to convert either way there is a converter on the Forum's Community pages.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/whole-blood-r ... erter.html

As for the strips. They work, I have got used to the readings and I have never bothered to convert them.

Ken

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
That's great! Thanks a lot.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I found the ultratouch smart easy one and just remembered why I didn't switch. It's actually bigger in size than the nano and I hated the calibration requirement. Ken why do you think it is so much better?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Maybe I have bigger pockets.......... :lol:

Seriously, I have never had a problem with any of the Lifescan products as I moved from an Accu-Chek product to the two I mentioned. I am not an Insulin user so that part of it for me is just to record when I inject. It is the ability to store masses of info re carbs,fats, calories, etc, weight, BP and just about anything else you want without any hassle.

When I go to the Diabetic Clinic I have either printed out charts, results or I take the meter with me and show the graphs on screen. My Endo and SDSN wished everybody had one. Makes their job easier.

The UltraEasy is just the right size for me as it has a nice large digital readout........saves peering at some meter readings on other makes. Takes the same strips as the UltraSmart so basically it was no contest. I find it no hassle to carry around. Anyway......they were free...... :wink: :D

Ken

sugar2

Tigger,

Thanks for pointing this out...I hadn't realised they had changed either! I am not bothered that they have, but it would have been nice to know! for me (and I don't claim to be normal!!) 3.6 is my hypo limit...so a 10% drop is quite a big deal.
Thanks

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi sugar - part of the reason I'm really angry is that I have been trying to keep tight control because I'm trying to conceive but also there are certain levels I adhere to for various activities e.g. 3.5 and below to treat a hypo in full, 3.5 to 4 slightly different treatment and no lower than 5 before driving. It is particularly the latter which concerns me as I may well have been driving hypo which is not only incredibly dangerous but you don't get the benefits of any defences of manslaughter if it happens! Hyper for some reason does. I still don't get that distinction.

It also brings back all those delightful memories of how they first switched everyone from animal to human insulin so many years ago without letting them know. It seems that very little has changed. :x