Accucheck vs SD Codefree monitor discrepancies - HUGE!!

simonseaford

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got a new meter so thought I would check it against my old one and it's WAY out.
Old one is a SD Codefree (the strips were cheap and it was recommneded). The new one is Accu-Check.
Both are taken from same site, same blood and with new strips.

SD Codefree is 8.3 (2hrs post)
Accu-Check is 6.3 (same post)

Why?
Which one is to be believed?!!!

Thanks god I'm type 2. If I was Type 1 injecting based on these readings I could be in serious trouble.

2016-07-04-18.26.36.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got a new meter so thought I would check it against my old one and it's WAY out.
Old one is a SD Codefree (the strips were cheap and it was recommneded). The new one is Accu-Check.

Why?

Thanks god I'm type 2. If I was Type 1 injecting based on these readings I could be in serious trouble.

2016-07-04-18.26.36.jpg

If I you I would get the test solutions for both to test which is accurate.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Code Free in my experience and following others always reads higher, but 2.0 mmol is a big difference.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

statler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
salad
I had the same issue with my code free. Was 1 full point different to the diabetic nurses meter. I'd stick to the lower one

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am having the same problem .. was advised to ring home health to see if it was a bad set of test strips .. but I test so little now I am throwing my code free meter away ... Its eating batteries like they are going out of fashion and shutting down as soon as I put the test strips in .... but it is three years old !!!!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Why?

2016-07-04-18.26.36.jpg

Whilst that's a difference, two point:

All meters and strips have a legal acceptable 15% tolerance. Your Codefree could have read 15% too high and the Accucheck 15% low for all we know. In that case the difference would have been significantly less.

OK, it'd be really unlucky to have that scenario on your first side-by-side test, but it is a potential.

Secondly, what are you actually going to do with the numbers? As a T2, your trends are more important than the actual numbers. Are the numbers going up, down, or staying stable.

I use the Codefree, but only use it.

Reactions: 4 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Take the average.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mu Codefree consistemtly reads a point or so above my NEO or my XCEED, but that is becaise they do have a slight difference in the way they are calibrated, but this is not the case between SD and Accuchek which have the same calibration

I now have a similar problem. My Codefree today read 10.7, my NEO read 6.2. but both meet the calibration fluid test. That was 2 hours ago, and now the difference is only 0.3 mmol/l Same drop, no squeezing, adequate capilliary action, 5 seconds between samples max. washed site prior to pricking. Maybe a misread, but both meters at same room temp conditions.

As pointed out, it is the change in reading on each meter that is important. and the average that matters for long term decisions. My HbA1c actaully lies midway between the average values of both meters sothey are both telling me a valid result, but not on a daily or instant basis. Just long term.

If the difference is largr than, say, 2 mmol/l then it may be worth repeating the measurement. If worried about hypo then take the lowest reading and treat accordingly if getting hypo symptoms, or if checking before driving.
Edit to update, my 4hr PP SD=6.1. NEO = 4.8, which is within the normal variance so I am not driving without a sweet first.

BwanaChris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Why?

2016-07-04-18.26.36.jpg

BwanaChris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exactly the same here

Attachments

• file-SJhmwD4SNjubTZuZQBmLMNRy.jpg
    file-SJhmwD4SNjubTZuZQBmLMNRy.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 25

Beating-My-Betes

A timely thread. Been using Codefree for a few years and recently bought a Sinocare unit. A only did a few ests agains the Codefree, but the Siocare kept reading lower. Obviously couldn't know which was correct, but chose to go with the higher number as I'd rather think something was higher than it was than lower than it really was.

But with the two threads comparing Codefree to other units, it certainly seems to be that it's a consistent issue. Perhaps it's time to retire the Codefree.

Unfortunately, the Sinocare seems to be pretty off with itself with subsequent readings. Maybe there're other options that people use with a better accuracy?

xmirus

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So I have an Accu-Chek Instant and a CodeFree. I used the Accu-Chek one for a long time (some good years) and then I got the CodeFree. Never noticed a difference between them but lately I have been juggling around with them and used one or the other when I had the batteries for them. Today, I got a new CodeFree and I had 141 mg/dL. That is clearly too much and it scared the **** out of me. I tested the other CodeFree I already had and it read 118 mg/dL. Being confused, I tried the Accu-Chek as well and it read 103 mg/dL. Now, I am more than confused and I don’t know which one is the most accurate. Any help in finding that out?