Acid reflux much worse on a LC diet. Any tips?

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just from my personal experience. my acid reflux and bloating all stopped after going very low carb.
Have you heard of Dr Jason Fung. He has had great success with Type 2's and reducing and in some cases stopping insulin for them. Maybe have a read on his website

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com

Some of the testimonials may be of interest..
my acid reflux has got MUCH worse since going low carb - so much so I'm now on omeprazole - is there anything I can do to remain low carb but lose the horrible GERD ???

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my acid reflux has got MUCH worse since going low carb - so much so I'm now on omeprazole - is there anything I can do to remain low carb but lose the horrible GERD ???
Do you drink caffeinated beverages? I ask because my GERD started playing up more and more - it's got a lot better since I switched to decaffeinated tea. The caffeine apparently can causes issues with oesophagal sphinter tone. Might be worth a trial to see?

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am trying decaff - possibly slight improvement - thanks, will keep at it
Do you drink caffeinated beverages? I ask because my GERD started playing up more and more - it's got a lot better since I switched to decaffeinated tea. The caffeine apparently can causes issues with oesophagal sphinter tone. Might be worth a trial to see?

Reactions: Indy51

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
1/4 tsp soda in 3 oz water. Set a timer for 5 min. If you burp within 2 min your stomach acid is high. 2-4 min it's normal. Over 5 it's low. I didn't burp until after lunch If I have heartburn it does help MOST of the time to neutralize the acid.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1/4 tsp soda in 3 oz water. Set a timer for 5 min. If you burp within 2 min your stomach acid is high. 2-4 min it's normal. Over 5 it's low. I didn't burp until after lunch If I have heartburn it does help MOST of the time to neutralize the acid.
So it is a remedy - or a test to see how much acid you have - confused !

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So it is a remedy - or a test to see how much acid you have - confused !
Yes, it’s a test. You do the rest in the morning before you eat anything.

Then if you find you’re high acid you can use it to neutralize the acid when you get heartburn.

Just be advised symptoms of low acid are the same as high acid.

If you’re low acid you can take HCL with a protein meal.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks! I'll give it a go! Used to use Andrews liver salts and burped like crazy! But the last time I did it I don't think I belched at all! Interesting! I'll pay more attention to it this time

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks! I'll give it a go! Used to use Andrews liver salts and buried like crazy! But the last time I did it I don't think I beached at all! Interesting! I'll pay more attention to it this time
I have no idea what liver salts are.

The last few times I’ve done the test in the morning I didn’t belch until after lunch when I popped open my seltzer.

Perhaps this is why I have a finicky stomach. Lol

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry - it's a British thing ! basically 'Andrews' is bicarbonate of soda

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry - it's a British thing ! basically 'Andrews' is bicarbonate of soda
I learn new things every day on here!! Yup same thing. Another thing I do is drink seltzer water. The bubble help any acid. Do you drink it? It’s fizzy water (haha) with no sugars or sweeteners. Just good ole carbonation.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I learn new things every day on here!! Yup same thing. Another thing I do is drink seltzer water. The bubble help any acid. Do you drink it? It’s fizzy water (haha) with no sugars or sweeteners. Just good ole carbonation.
Yep - I drink fizzy water.... Doesn't help that much, but I have to say I drink less of it now I have my BS pretty much under control - perhaps I should up my intake!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep - I drink fizzy water.... Doesn't help that much, but I have to say I drink less of it now I have my BS pretty much under control - perhaps I should up my intake!
Worth a try. Reflux is no fun. Since I’m low the bicarbonate doesn’t help unless I’m bloated. And then hit or miss. But it’s nice to know which one we are

Reactions: charliebarker

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tried the baking soda thing.....three hours later still no burps ! I'm on omeprazole though so wondering if that might affect the soda test?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Tried the baking soda thing.....three hours later still no burps ! I'm on omeprazole though so wondering if that might affect the soda test?
It probably wouldn’t effect the test but it kills your stomach acid. Then you can’t digest food as we need the acid.
You’re low acid obviously.
I was on omeprazole for years. Then my stomach fell apart. I don’t think it’s good to be on it for any extended amount of time. It’s a proton pump inhibitor. The funniest thing is it blocks our acid production but no doctor I know of ever checked for either low or high acid. They just suggest it to anyone complaining of heartburn. People with low acid should not be taking it. Rather HCA, the complete opposite. ( hydrochloric acid).

Im assuming you’re eating more protein on lchf than before ? More fat? Perhaps try some lc alkalizing foods with your meals to balance the acid. Avocado comes to mind haha. Or some salad greens? I would imagine animal fat is harder to break down than plant fats.

I took HCL for awhile to help bring my acid levels up. Not sure it worked but I did digest better. Funny thing now is I really only digest protein and fats. ( less so with animal ) and veggies are hard for me to break down.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It probably wouldn’t effect the test but it kills your stomach acid. Then you can’t digest food as we need the acid.
You’re low acid obviously.
I was on omeprazole for years. Then my stomach fell apart. I don’t think it’s good to be on it for any extended amount of time. It’s a proton pump inhibitor. The funniest thing is it blocks our acid production but no doctor I know of ever checked for either low or high acid. They just suggest it to anyone complaining of heartburn. People with low acid should not be taking it. Rather HCA, the complete opposite. ( hydrochloric acid).

Im assuming you’re eating more protein on lchf than before ? More fat? Perhaps try some lc alkalizing foods with your meals to balance the acid. Avocado comes to mind haha. Or some salad greens? I would imagine animal fat is harder to break down than plant fats.

I took HCL for awhile to help bring my acid levels up. Not sure it worked but I did digest better. Funny thing now is I really only digest protein and fats. ( less so with animal ) and veggies are hard for me to break down.
Only been on omeprazole for 2 weeks so far. A few years ago I was having reflux issues and tried the cider vinegar thing...made it a lot worse. Went onto ranitadine and have been absolutely fine until recently. Things like mint, tomatoes chicken etc make it worse....all acidic foods, which makes me think I have too much rather than too little acid.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Only been on omeprazole for 2 weeks so far. A few years ago I was having reflux issues and tried the cider vinegar thing...made it a lot worse. Went onto ranitadine and have been absolutely fine until recently. Things like mint, tomatoes chicken etc make it worse....all acidic foods, which makes me think I have too much rather than too little acid.
Cider vinegar gags me and I burp or bloat. Yuk
You’re clearly showing low acid which is why you can’t break down acidic foods. No acid and the PPI’s won’t be doing you any favors.
Have you heard of HCL? It is used for people with low acid allowing you to break down foods. If you don’t like that idea a digestive enzyme would also help. I favor Enzymedica enzymes. Very pure.
https://enzymedica.com/
I have also used source naturals with good luck.
The symptoms of both low and high acid are the same. The fact your not breaking down acidic foods also shows you’re low acid.

I studied/ researched nutrition forever it seems to help my daughter as well as myself. Sometimes we can’t FIX these things but we can MANAGE them either with diet or supplements. I would recommend a digestive enzyme for you. Broad based to inclugpce all protein( protease); fats ( lipase) and all sugars and starches ( amylase being the main one )

It could also be something you’re eating like grains? Saturated fats? Sugars? Dairy. All highly suspect foods.

Reactions: slaxx

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cider vinegar gags me and I burp or bloat. Yuk
You’re clearly showing low acid which is why you can’t break down acidic foods. No acid and the PPI’s won’t be doing you any favors.
Have you heard of HCL? It is used for people with low acid allowing you to break down foods. If you don’t like that idea a digestive enzyme would also help. I favor Enzymedica enzymes. Very pure.
https://enzymedica.com/
I have also used source naturals with good luck.
The symptoms of both low and high acid are the same. The fact your not breaking down acidic foods also shows you’re low acid.

I studied/ researched nutrition forever it seems to help my daughter as well as myself. Sometimes we can’t FIX these things but we can MANAGE them either with diet or supplements. I would recommend a digestive enzyme for you. Broad based to inclugpce all protein( protease); fats ( lipase) and all sugars and starches ( amylase being the main one )

It could also be something you’re eating like grains? Saturated fats? Sugars? Dairy. All highly suspect foods.
Thanks, I'll try the enzymes.... Clearly it's the dairy in the LCHF that's doing it, as I don't eat sugars or grains!