Adjusting Insulin doses

Adam09

I've been diagnosed T1 for 3 weeks now, the two weeks they had me staying at home and I got my levels under control pretty well.

However now I'm back at uni I've been taking the same doses (6 Novorapid with breakfast, 10 with lunch and 16-20 with dinner (18 Lantus at 6pm everyday)) but now I'm up and about doing things my levels are constantly dropping into the 2-3 area and means I need to pick up a sandwich or some chocolate even when I'm not hungry just to try and get it back up.

Is there a reasonable amount to drop the insulin doses by to try and balance it back out or is it just a case of trial and error?

Cheers, Adam

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya adam,
im type 1 and basically ive found it to be trial and error, i now eat 4 meals a day and if im more active / stressed i sometimes hypo, just drop them slowly until you reach a place u want to be :D

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
adam,
i forgot to say that once your basal is right it will be easier to tweek the others,
can u tell us what u eat and what bloods are before eating?
thankyou

Adam09

With regards to food while I'm at uni eating is usually something like:

Breakfast - 3 pieces of toast with butter between 8-10am depending on lecture times; levels this week have been between 3 and 6

Lunch - A sandwich out of Greggs or something similar between 12-2pm; again levels are 3-6

Dinner - Usually some form of meat (Chicken/sausage) with pasta/rice or potatoes; same, 3-6

Sometimes make a bowl of pasta or something in the evening (pretty hungry trying to put weight back on! which I would inject about 10 units for (I think its like 75g of Carbs for 100g of pasta).

I should note that the times I have noticed I've been going low and done an extra test are usually after dinner or on the way home from uni which are in the 2's-low 3's, can tell cause my vision starts getting spotty.

The injections I had been giving myself prior to this week were keeping me between 5-7 although I would say I ate bigger meals when I was at home and watched daytime TV as there wasn't alot to do, now I'm back at uni I walk there and back most days and jog every other day so I guess that would be bringing it down too?