1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Adjusting Insulin doses

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Adam09, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Adam09

Adam09 · Member

I've been diagnosed T1 for 3 weeks now, the two weeks they had me staying at home and I got my levels under control pretty well.

However now I'm back at uni I've been taking the same doses (6 Novorapid with breakfast, 10 with lunch and 16-20 with dinner (18 Lantus at 6pm everyday)) but now I'm up and about doing things my levels are constantly dropping into the 2-3 area and means I need to pick up a sandwich or some chocolate even when I'm not hungry just to try and get it back up.

Is there a reasonable amount to drop the insulin doses by to try and balance it back out or is it just a case of trial and error?

Cheers, Adam

2. totsy

totsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

hya adam,
    im type 1 and basically ive found it to be trial and error, i now eat 4 meals a day and if im more active / stressed i sometimes hypo, just drop them slowly until you reach a place u want to be :D

3. totsy

totsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

adam,
    i forgot to say that once your basal is right it will be easier to tweek the others,
    can u tell us what u eat and what bloods are before eating?
    thankyou

4. Adam09

Adam09 · Member

With regards to food while I'm at uni eating is usually something like:

Breakfast - 3 pieces of toast with butter between 8-10am depending on lecture times; levels this week have been between 3 and 6

Lunch - A sandwich out of Greggs or something similar between 12-2pm; again levels are 3-6

Dinner - Usually some form of meat (Chicken/sausage) with pasta/rice or potatoes; same, 3-6

Sometimes make a bowl of pasta or something in the evening (pretty hungry trying to put weight back on! which I would inject about 10 units for (I think its like 75g of Carbs for 100g of pasta).

I should note that the times I have noticed I've been going low and done an extra test are usually after dinner or on the way home from uni which are in the 2's-low 3's, can tell cause my vision starts getting spotty.

The injections I had been giving myself prior to this week were keeping me between 5-7 although I would say I ate bigger meals when I was at home and watched daytime TV as there wasn't alot to do, now I'm back at uni I walk there and back most days and jog every other day so I guess that would be bringing it down too?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook