ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think the other thing we need to ponder is how many newly diagnosed T2s are given the option to try diet only initially. Until recently, I would say the majority of those diagnosed went directly to Metformin.

I don't have any studies to back that up; it's more my sense of what I see "walk through the door".
I think that's because diet is only expected to reduce a bg by a small percentage (nhs data, I guess. Not lchf data). As of metformin so their thinking is both might actually get their very very high bgs into a less dangerous level.
Do prediabetics get offered metformin? I'd like to think just offered diet control. I guess the higher the hba1c the more likelihood of meds too?
They have to act if hba1c extremely high rather than wait for weeks for even low carb to kick in, maybe?
Lets not forget hba1c doesn't give the full picture, just the average. Bgs will be on occasion higher and lower than hba1c level. Quite scarey really on reading some people's first hba1c result.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think that's because diet is only expected to reduce a bg by a small percentage (nhs data, I guess. Not lchf data). As of metformin so their thinking is both might actually get their very very high bgs into a less dangerous level.
Do prediabetics get offered metformin? I'd like to think just offered diet control. I guess the higher the hba1c the more likelihood of meds too?
They have to act if hba1c extremely high rather than wait for weeks for even low carb to kick in, maybe?
Lets not forget hba1c doesn't give the full picture, just the average. Bgs will be on occasion higher and lower than hba1c level. Quite scarey really on reading some people's first hba1c result.

I was happily straight onto Metformin.
I don't see it as a contest with bragging rights over how I dealt with diabetes.
Take the metformin, get the BG down to a manageable level, without a wait of several months.
It would be completely irresponsible of them not to prescribe it in most cases.

But, after that, my metformin was reduced to a minimum dose (my choice) as it has other (good) press, after I'd reversed my diabetes through the Newcastle diet.
I am extremely reluctant to give up being on the register, and the benefits that come with it.
I can live with being 'diabetic', so long as I'm not showing symptoms.

Reactions: Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was happily straight onto Metformin.
I don't see it as a contest with bragging rights over how I dealt with diabetes.
Take the metformin, get the BG down to a manageable level, without a wait of several months.
It would be completely irresponsible of them not to prescribe it in most cases.

But, after that, my metformin was reduced to a minimum dose (my choice) as it has other (good) press, after I'd reversed my diabetes through the Newcastle diet.
I am extremely reluctant to give up being on the register, and the benefits that come with it.
I can live with being 'diabetic', so long as I'm not showing symptoms.
I was immediately given metformin in 2002 and dietary advice. I didn't lose weight until I incorporated heavy 2hr gym classes 5 days a week. No more than a stone though. I ate like a mouse and walked throughout my 12hr shift work additionally. I was very fit but no distinctive weight loss. I'm unsure what my hba1c was back then.
After using insulin with my first son metformin didn't keep my hba1c in good level so gliclazide was added, then increased. After 2nd pregnancy on insulin gliclazide no longer worked in bringing down my hba1c . Hence now on insulin and metformin again with a non-strict low carb lifestyle.
My hormones have played a huge part in increased bgs but never once mentioned on diagnosis.

McGints11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So, in the grand scheme of things I'd like to think I've been doing pretty well. I stopped the meds, I'm often in the 5s in the morning. But - it's the relentless of diabetes that is killing me. Constantly checking labels, constantly thinking I can't eat that.

One of my main loves has always been food, eating it, cooking it, reading about it, entertaining. I feel that is gone. I had a Delicious magazine gift subscription every year, I've told my parents they shouldn't renew it.

I'm going out tomorrow night and I've checked the menu numerous times to see what I can eat. You can easily say 'oh you'll be ok, relax' but that's an easy routine and then you have high BGs.

Maybe I'm just having a bad week. I just would appreciate some advice from those I admire on the forum who just seem to manage it month after month. Do you have bad days too? Is it ok to feel low at times.

Thank you - this forum is amazing and every day I am thankful for the amazing support.
Hi,

my latest A1c was 6.1% and I have a pretty normal diet. No pasta, no rice, no snack food, no chocolate etc. Apart from that, it is very normal. I use bitter melon tea bags after I eat carbs. Very effective, but please check work you doctor first. Cheers, Peter.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi,

my latest A1c was 6.1% and I have a pretty normal diet. No pasta, no rice, no snack food, no chocolate etc. Apart from that, it is very normal. I use bitter melon tea bags after I eat carbs. Very effective, but please check work you doctor first. Cheers, Peter.

That isn't a pretty normal diet for a lot of people!! Lol!!

Brilliant to read that, made me chuckle.

Joandollie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was given the option, and encouraged by my GP and DN to try diet and exercise only and succeeded for 8 years before Metformin was mentioned. In my experience after taking it for 2+ years, there is absolutely nothing to fear with Metformin.
I too was diagnosed 8 years before my numbers were at the point when Metformin came into play. I feel like I've only just been diagnosed sometimes, it all feels new and exhausting! Been low carbing since first week of November and currently on 1500mg of Metformin a day, rising to 2000g next week. My 30 day overall average is currently 8.6, which is not brilliant but I do feel better and I am losing weight. I think I'm a bit obsessed at the moment and hope to become less so as time goes by

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, in the grand scheme of things I'd like to think I've been doing pretty well. I stopped the meds, I'm often in the 5s in the morning. But - it's the relentless of diabetes that is killing me. Constantly checking labels, constantly thinking I can't eat that.

One of my main loves has always been food, eating it, cooking it, reading about it, entertaining. I feel that is gone. I had a Delicious magazine gift subscription every year, I've told my parents they shouldn't renew it.
@PenfoldAPD I defy you not to enjoy making mince pies this Christmas! This is a recipe I adapted and experimented with yesterday and the result is a melt-in-the-mouth, feather light pastry. It can probably be refined in the next batch but I'm happy with this first attempt.

Its a weird recipe, allegedly given to my cookery teacher by a Russian monk and it really does work! Don't be alarmed by the ingredients, quantities or consistency of the pastry. Everything is correct. I used Trex in this recipe but you can use Flora White or Lard. BEWARE this is messy (you'd better hope the phone doesn't ring) and it doesn't resemble traditional pastry when being handled, but the cooked results are sublime!

I used shop bought traditional mincemeat on this occasion as it was an experiment. Even with traditional mincemeat, my BS didn't spike after 2 eating mince pies. I'm now going to try and find a low carb mincemeat recipe

Low carb pastry for mince pies: Makes 48 pies

600g ground almonds
1 tablespoon baking powder
Pinch table salt
450g Vegetable fat (yes not a mistake!)
2 fl oz milk
1 tablespoon malt vinegar
1 egg
1 tablespoon Mincemeat per pie
beaten egg for egg wash

Method: Begin by sieving baking powder and salt into a bowl containing the ground almonds, and then rub in the vegetable fat. This will become almost a paste. Beat the egg into the milk then add the vinegar and pour into the fat and almond mixture and combine to a very moist paste. Place in a plastic food bag (I double wrap mine in clingfilm) and chill overnight.

When chilled, roll out the pastry (you will need a dusting of flour for rolling) and cut out circles using a pastry cutter. You will need one circle for the base of the pie, and one for the lid. Place the bottom circle in greased individual patty tins and fill with one tablespoon of mincemeat. Place egg wash around the rim of the base and on both sides of the pastry lid. Place lid on top of the filled base and press gently to seal the rim. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 180C until golden brown.

There is no need to grease your tins due to the high fat content in the pastry.

Last edited:
Reactions: geefull

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenfoldAPD I defy you not to enjoy making mince pies this Christmas! This is a recipe I adapted and experimented with yesterday and the result is a melt-in-the-mouth, feather light pastry. It can probably be refined in the next batch but I'm happy with this first attempt.

Its a weird recipe, allegedly given to my cookery teacher by a Russian monk and it really does work! Don't be alarmed by the ingredients, quantities or consistency of the pastry. Everything is correct. I used Trex in this recipe but you can use Flora White or Lard. BEWARE this is messy (you'd better hope the phone doesn't ring) and it doesn't resemble traditional pastry when being handled, but the cooked results are sublime!

I used shop bought traditional mincemeat on this occasion as it was an experiment. Even with traditional mincemeat, my BS didn't spike after 2 eating mince pies. I'm now going to try and find a low carb mincemeat recipe

Low carb pastry for mince pies: Makes 48 pies

600g ground almonds
1 tablespoon baking powder
Pinch table salt
450g Vegetable fat (yes not a mistake!)
2 fl oz milk
1 tablespoon malt vinegar
1 egg
1 tablespoon Mincemeat per pie
beaten egg for egg wash

Method: Begin by sieving baking powder and salt into a bowl containing the ground almonds, and then rub in the vegetable fat. This will become almost a paste. Beat the egg into the milk then add the vinegar and pour into the fat and almond mixture and combine to a very moist paste. Place in a plastic food bag (I double wrap mine in clingfilm) and chill overnight.

When chilled, roll out the pastry (you will need a dusting of flour for rolling) and cut out circles using a pastry cutter. You will need one circle for the base of the pie, and one for the lid. Place the bottom circle in greased individual patty tins and fill with one tablespoon of mincemeat. Place egg wash around the rim of the base and on both sides of the pastry lid. Place lid on top of the filled base and press gently to seal the rim. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 180C until golden brown.

There is no need to grease your tins due to the high fat content in the pastry.

Wow, that recipe looks interesting - will have to try it! Thank you