Advice given to PCTs from NSDT re: SMBG for Type 2s

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
A few weeks ago I lodged an FOI request asking the following:

Sue Roberts, formerly National Clinical Director for Diabetes, produced a factsheet for Strategic Health Authorities on home blood glucose monitoring and in February 2005 further advice was circulated through the Medical Directors, Chief Nursing Officers and GP Bulletins. Are these documents publicly available, if so where can I get hold of copies, if not what as the advice given to Strategic Health Authorities and also to Medical Directors, Chief Nursing Officers and GPs regarding home blood glucose monitoring?

This is the advice referred to by Ann Keen in her response to a question I raised through my MP.

The link to the CNO bulletin referred to is http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsand ... DH_5032607, and handily there is a link to the factsheet mentioned as well.

This document discusses SMBG for type 2 diabetics, but importantly p16 also shows how PCTs have interpreted the advice given.

One of the statements from the PCTs given for those of us on diet or metformin is that we will only need to test if we "have high blood glucose after eating"...well, how will we know if we have high blood glucose after eating? surely, by testing?

Regards, Tubs.

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
The answer probably is that if we don't know if our bg is going after meals up so then we will be in a state of ignorant bliss until the next Hba1c. Trouble is ignorance is only bliss in the short term.