Advice needed please !

W.Amanda

Hi everyone
I need help!
To Cut along story short I am type 2 and diagnosed about 4 years ago. Decided to take up Walking so managed to do 7km a day , damaged knee doing this. Could barely walk.( By this time I had given up testing bloods as were always good) I have been living in Cyprus for few years, so dont have any support or a diabetic nurse . After xrays Cyprus told me need new knee but too young at 55 and UK I was told I don't need new knee.
Confused! So decided to try swimming to help. I built up to swimming 2000m a day 6 days a week. Sounds good didnt lose much weight at all but body shape changed . Got bored of this and a month ago started the gym mainly doing exercise bike for an hour a day 5 days a week and some upper body work outs and am finally now starting losing weight.
I have a very sweet tooth unfortunately cant get my head around not eating chocolate and desserts !
I take 500mg metaformin twice a day, I wake up today my fasting reading is 7.7. I know this is higher than should be but is it that high? .... do I need more medication ? As said no diabetic nurses to guide me in Cyprus. Please someone advise me

Reactions: lwb84

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone
I need help!
To Cut along story short I am type 2 and diagnosed about 4 years ago. Decided to take up Walking so managed to do 7km a day , damaged knee doing this. Could barely walk.( By this time I had given up testing bloods as were always good) I have been living in Cyprus for few years, so dont have any support or a diabetic nurse . After xrays Cyprus told me need new knee but too young at 55 and UK I was told I don't need new knee.
Confused! So decided to try swimming to help. I built up to swimming 2000m a day 6 days a week. Sounds good didnt lose much weight at all but body shape changed . Got bored of this and a month ago started the gym mainly doing exercise bike for an hour a day 5 days a week and some upper body work outs and am finally now starting losing weight.
I have a very sweet tooth unfortunately cant get my head around not eating chocolate and desserts !
I take 500mg metaformin twice a day, I wake up today my fasting reading is 7.7. I know this is higher than should be but is it that high? .... do I need more medication ? As said no diabetic nurses to guide me in Cyprus. Please someone advise me
I have a sweet tooth too. Very much so. I had to stop all of that and have made a success of doing it. I realised it was the way forward. My concession to this is using sweetner or taking drinks with artificial sweetner. Other than that the consumption of all cakes, biscuits, fruit, sweets and chocolate and sugary drinks have been stopped.

D

Deleted Account

You say you woke to 7.7 today.
Is that typical or is it an unusual reading for you?
I ask because there are so many things that can affect our BG that I try not to react to a single odd reading but wait for trends.

Reactions: SimonCrox

W.Amanda

To be honest I haven't been doing them for long time. I was under the illusion that aa taking metaformin I could still eat some sugars . Yikes. Not sure this is so . As I said no diabetic nurses in Cyprus so dont know anything really about the rights and wrongs

D

Deleted Account

To be honest I haven't been doing them for long time. I was under the illusion that aa taking metaformin I could still eat some sugars . Yikes. Not sure this is so . As I said no diabetic nurses in Cyprus so dont know anything really about the rights and wrongs
I do not have type 2 and I am not a doctor but ... if I was in your situation, I would take some more readings in the next few days to confirm your suspicion.

You may find this a useful read: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry, but Metformin doesn't do anything about sugars you ingest. The most it does is tell your liver to quit dumping so much glucose in the morning, and if you're seeing a fasting 7.7, that's.... A bit of an indication that your diet really, really needs some work.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help a little, as could dietdoctor.com and this forum's website. But unless you start testing before a meal and 2 hours after, you're not going to know where you're at bloodsugar-wise.

The good news: A sweet tooth basically comes down to an addiction. (Truly. It triggers the same bits in the brain as drugs do). Meaning you CAN kick the habit. Take it from someone who used to put 5 spoons of sugar in her espresso, effectively making it liquid candy. The craving goes away, your palatte changes, and other foods start tasting a whole lot better.

Reactions: Paulm80