Advice on BG readings - what should good look like?

Alist

Hi any advice please my BG readings have gone from average 12 down to 7 as a result of taking Gliclizide for a week plus a Keto diet. I have got a cracking headache though. Is this ok? I am really surprised that it has almost halved in week - generally I feel really well just wondering if anyone else has seen this level of change? Is it normal? Ali

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi any advice please my BG readings have gone from average 12 down to 7 as a result of taking Gliclizide for a week plus a Keto diet. I have got a cracking headache though. Is this ok? I am really surprised that it has almost halved in week - generally I feel really well just wondering if anyone else has seen this level of change? Is it normal? Ali

Hi @Alist

This page will give you NICE recommendations for glucose levels.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

You seem to have had a fairly quick drop there so if you've been bouncing around with high levels for a while then you should expect that your body will take some time to get used to lower glucose levels.

Headaches maybe a symptom of this but it could also be related to the lower carb intake as you've gone keto. I would like to suggest looking up 'carb flu' on Dr Google.

Reactions: Alist

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One random thought... A drop can lead to many body changes as you adapt, one can be changes in eyesight which could, I guess, also lead to headaches if you are not used to you new prescription.

As mentioned there is also carb flu.

you do need to be careful with keto and glicazide, as there is a hypo risk.

congratulations by the way, that path could lead to reduction or no drugs if it goes well

Reactions: Alist

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have got a cracking headache though. Is this ok?

Headache on Keto could be because of the "Keto Flu" or it could also be because of lack of vitamins and minerals. When our body is getting fat adapted and using the fat stored in cells, it releases water which in turn is passed out of the body but this also results in loss of body salts including Magnesium.

You may want to look at some salt supplements like this one as I have found taking one tablet of these a day keeps my headaches away. :)