Advice on getting Freestyle Libre

JThomo13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone

I have been looking at the freestyle libre and can see that it would be so useful for me and would be massive help to the managing of my diabetes. However when it comes to needles and things like that I really struggle. I am happy taking my insulin and using lancets as they are quick and i've got used to them. The problem i have with the freestyle libre is that it is always they and so I would like to know the following things about it, if anyones got one and could tell me about it that would be great.
Can you feel the sensor once its in?
If you are doing exercise that uses your upper body can you feel it when you move the muscles its place near?
Is it easy to remove?
If you lie on it (before going to sleep etc) can you feel it and does it become painful if you lie on it for long periods of time?
Does it hurt when applying the sensor?
How waterproof is it?
Any help and people sharing there experience would be great. Thanks to everyone in advance this forum is a great place to post things like this and I am glad I am part of it.

Thanks James

T1DM2012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @JThomo13
1. Can you feel the sensor once it's in? In my opinion absolutely not. The needle in the applicator is a little scary, but what is actually inserted in you is just like a flexible hair :)
2. Can you feel it when exercising upper body? I swim daily and you really don't know it's there. I do cover it with opcite and rocktape to keep it waterproof due to the length of time I swim.
3. Is it easy to remove? The adhesive holds tight, so it will pull you skin / hair :)
4. If you lie on it can you feel it? No not at all :)
5. Does it hurt when applying sensor? No, but the noise can be more of a shock
6. How waterproof is it? Fine for washing showering and swimming for up to 30 mins.

All opinions are my own but hope it helps. I couldn't live without mine, be warned you may become addicted!! Awesome piece of technology.

Reactions: 3 people

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with T1DM2012, once applied there is no needle left in you - it is a small flexible filament. You hardly notice you're wearing it at any time. Water proof up to a depth of 1 meter for 30mins with out any further protection - I know someone who scuba dived with one under wet suit for 45mins at depths of 10m and it still functioned after that, but wouldn't rely on that always being the case!

As for it's usefulness...............as the judges on Britain's Got Talent say..............a million per cent yes! Even if you just buy sensors for use now and again it's the difference between watching snooker on an old B&W potable TV and a 48" LCD HD Colour TV!

Reactions: 2 people

JThomo13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks I think I need to maybe just get one and go for it, its great to here how much people seam to like them.