ADVICE ON INSURANCE + Travelling to Netherlands!

anna198

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys!

I need some advice....Ill be visiting Netherlands THIS Friday. (an impromptu holiday!!!), the amount of medication Ill be taking is fine: Ill be going from Friday March 8th, until Tuesday March 12th, so just a few days.

My question surrounds travel insurance.
1) Will I be able to get cover in such short notice?
Again, Im leaving in 3 days.

2) Are there particular companies you know covered your Diabetes related issues, whilst on holiday?
I just hate the thought of paying for travel insurance and they don't want to pay up, or make it extremely difficult.

3) Can you guys link me to some insurance companies you guys use, that you know haven't caused much of an issue?
I've had a look at some companies, and the cost ranges from around £8 to £14, (this includes the Post Offices insurance too, which was on the upper end of cost).
The reason why I mention this, is because when I typed in the company I had initially wanted to go with: EXPLORER TRAVEL INSURANCE, I googled reviews about them and there were a few negative ones, and it essentially put me off using them.
(Just an FYI, Ive had Type 1 Diabetes for almost 21 years now, and I dont have issues concerning: heart disease, retinopathy, nerve damage, cholesterol issues. I dont smoke or drink either).
I also do have the EHIC CARD, but wanted to take private travel insurance on top of that.

4) Did going through the airport cause you any issues with your Diabetes?
Ill be flying through Birmingham Airport, this Friday. Just an FYI I only use my insulin PENS, for both my basal and bolus insulins and I use Freestyle Optium Neo to test blood sugars (I'll be taking back ups of the insulin pens and blood tester machine).

5) Following on from question 4, did Airport officials ask you to provide a letter from a Doc that you have diabetes, or did your previous prescription slips suffice?

6) Did you place all Diabetes medication in your hand luggage?
(I understand some Diabetics have even asked to have their insulin placed on the airline fridge).

7) In Netherlands, could you get hold of Diabetes related items, lets say your blood test machine malfunctioned, were you able to get hold of another machine from a chemist?

Thankyou if you took the time to read and answer my questions!
Ive never travelled alone, Im so worried! :(

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @anna198 Welcome to the forum, your holiday sounds great, try not to worry though remember type 1's fly all the time :)

I am covered through our bank, however once you apply your cover will be from the date you specify, I can't comment on which organisation offers the best deal etc so have a good search online first.

In regards to a GP's letter, I had one written about 6 years ago and used it once and have flown a number of times since without being asked for it, I didn't feel it was necessary.

Going through airports is fine, they see many type 1's, yes do carry all your items in hand luggage, take 3x what you would normally use, so you don't need to rely on finding a pharmacy whilst there. Everything will be scanned in your hand luggage, you should easily obtain a meter from a pharmacy there, maybe just check where your local healthcare facilities are before you travel.

Try not to worry though, once you've done this your confidence will improve and try to have a great time too :)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @anna198 Welcome to the forum, your holiday sounds great, try not to worry though remember type 1's fly all the time :)

I am covered through our bank, however once you apply your cover will be from the date you specify, I can't comment on which organisation offers the best deal etc so have a good search online first.

In regards to a GP's letter, I had one written about 6 years ago and used it once and have flown a number of times since without being asked for it, I didn't feel it was necessary.

Going through airports is fine, they see many type 1's, yes do carry all your items in hand luggage, take 3x what you would normally use, so you don't need to rely on finding a pharmacy whilst there. Everything will be scanned in your hand luggage, you should easily obtain a meter from a pharmacy there, maybe just check where your local healthcare facilities are before you travel.

Try not to worry though, once you done this your confidence will improve and try to have a great time too :)
Be careful to check the extent of cover provided with bank accounts as it is often minimal and doesn't cover existing conditions. Moneysavingexpert has a good guide to travel insurance and links to comparison sites for those with existing conditions.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@Mr_Pot Thanks for the info. I also have the EHIC card but as the future of this looks doubtful from 29th March I didn't mention it in my earlier post, it's always been my back up though when travelling in Europe.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @anna198 and welcome to the forum
With regards to insurance its a case of checking them out online. You will have to put your diabetes in on the forms you fill out.
I have never had any trouble going through airports and we go through Turkey!
Ask your DSN to do you a letter as they do not charge. I have only ever taken a copy of my prescription.
And lastly...have an amazing time :)

Reactions: Dodo

janeridal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get annual travel insurance - we travel A Lot! - so my experience is of limited value there - FYI, I use Benenden travel insurance and they don't seem to add much loading for my Type 1. And they issue instantly online, as do most insurers nowadays. Please don't worry about your trip - put all your gear and, especially, your insulin in your carry on - it's possible for things to get very cold in the baggage hold (though I should think unlikely for your short flight). Security will be very used to diabetics. Personally I've never bothered with a doctor's letter, and have never been asked for one; what I do take is my latest repeat prescription form, so that I can if necessary (never has been) demonstrate that all my stuff is properly prescribed. I've travelled all over the world, including some moderately hairy places, and never had a problem. And remember, if your blood sugar levels go up a little because of interrupted routine/unfamiliar foods, don't worry - you'll get back on track quickly enough. Have a wonderful time and tell us all about it!

WJP1055

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sugar, being overweight
I also take out annual travel insurance which costs around £150pa, it covers my wife and I (T1D) for travel anywhere in the world. We tend to do a few trips away each year. I used to work from time to time in The Netherlands and on one return trip home was asked to put my all medication in my suitcase. I did refuse but was told I would not be allowed to board the flight unless I removed it from my hand-luggage. Having offered the lady at the check-in desk my GPs letter explaining that I needed to carry the medication with me she simply reiterated that I had to transfer my medication to my suitcase for storage in the hold! I was left with no choice and did as I was told. This all occurred about 15 years ago and only occurred on that one occasion. It may be worth checking with the airline directly.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also take out annual travel insurance which costs around £150pa, it covers my wife and I (T1D) for travel anywhere in the world. We tend to do a few trips away each year. I used to work from time to time in The Netherlands and on one return trip home was asked to put my all medication in my suitcase. I did refuse but was told I would not be allowed to board the flight unless I removed it from my hand-luggage. Having offered the lady at the check-in desk my GPs letter explaining that I needed to carry the medication with me she simply reiterated that I had to transfer my medication to my suitcase for storage in the hold! I was left with no choice and did as I was told. This all occurred about 15 years ago and only occurred on that one occasion. It may be worth checking with the airline directly.

Back in 1998 I went to Australia as a freshly diagnosed T1D. The stewards on the flight didn't like me having insulin, and said they'd need to look after it for me. Since then nobody's mentioned anything, so I think people are getting more used to it.

masonap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celebrity pop stars, football.
Hi Guys!

I need some advice....Ill be visiting Netherlands THIS Friday. (an impromptu holiday!!!), the amount of medication Ill be taking is fine: Ill be going from Friday March 8th, until Tuesday March 12th, so just a few days.

My question surrounds travel insurance.
1) Will I be able to get cover in such short notice?
Again, Im leaving in 3 days.

2) Are there particular companies you know covered your Diabetes related issues, whilst on holiday?
I just hate the thought of paying for travel insurance and they don't want to pay up, or make it extremely difficult.

3) Can you guys link me to some insurance companies you guys use, that you know haven't caused much of an issue?
I've had a look at some companies, and the cost ranges from around £8 to £14, (this includes the Post Offices insurance too, which was on the upper end of cost).
The reason why I mention this, is because when I typed in the company I had initially wanted to go with: EXPLORER TRAVEL INSURANCE, I googled reviews about them and there were a few negative ones, and it essentially put me off using them.
(Just an FYI, Ive had Type 1 Diabetes for almost 21 years now, and I dont have issues concerning: heart disease, retinopathy, nerve damage, cholesterol issues. I dont smoke or drink either).
I also do have the EHIC CARD, but wanted to take private travel insurance on top of that.

4) Did going through the airport cause you any issues with your Diabetes?
Ill be flying through Birmingham Airport, this Friday. Just an FYI I only use my insulin PENS, for both my basal and bolus insulins and I use Freestyle Optium Neo to test blood sugars (I'll be taking back ups of the insulin pens and blood tester machine).

5) Following on from question 4, did Airport officials ask you to provide a letter from a Doc that you have diabetes, or did your previous prescription slips suffice?

6) Did you place all Diabetes medication in your hand luggage?
(I understand some Diabetics have even asked to have their insulin placed on the airline fridge).

7) In Netherlands, could you get hold of Diabetes related items, lets say your blood test machine malfunctioned, were you able to get hold of another machine from a chemist?

Thankyou if you took the time to read and answer my questions!
Ive never travelled alone, Im so worried! :(

4 days????
If you feel well now, and if you have enough supplies of all your regular medication (plus a bit extra) why worry at all?
I'm typeII on insulin and I've flown through Birmingham many times and never had an issue, I even left my insulin pen in my carry on bag and it wasn't noticed, maybe they thought it was a real pen?