advice on lowcarbs for travelling please

rtee

I'm going to Italy on Tues for a painting holiday and have chosen to travel mainly by train (am flying to Paris then training it) Any advice on what I could take to help me on the long train journeys so that I don't need to eat too much pastry/bread. I don't want to fall too far off the wagon. I feel so good since I've been lowcarbing (4wks)
Resisting pasta is going to be HARD :cry: But I can do it :thumbup:

B

badcat

For the trrip, Id take a small cool bag with some of low carb things like - cheese, berries, cold meat, hummus, low carb veg sticks ( cucumber, celery etc), parmesan cheese "crisps" ( grate parmesan onto a baking sheet, bake in the oven until melted and then allow to cool when they reset into crisps),or crispy kale ( toss young kale in olive oil, bake in the oven until crisp and then leave to cool. sprinkle with sea salt / black pepper, store in airtight container)

tree-peony

it's really tough when you're travelling. You're not supposed to take some foodstuffs into countries, mostly meat and things like honey, which can be a problem if you're flying. I generally take a fresh batch of almond muffins, a bag of pears, a packet of Ryvita Crackerbreads, some 85% chocolate and some Atkins bars for emergencies.

However, you are on holiday, so enjoy yourself! Salami, Parma ham, mozzarella, ......... yum!

Fraddycat

More things for your coolbag; Babybels, hard boiled eggs, cheese strings, pepperami, all wrapped up nicely. Not needing chilling are bags of almonds, cashews, peanuts, I have bought Atkins bars for future travel emergencies too.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I take a dry mix of ground almonds, & coconut flour. Half a mug of powder topped up with boiling water makes a nutritious dring. Add milk to cool, non-suger sweetener, coffee, low cal drinking choc, cup-a-soup.

WhitbyJet

I packed Pepperami tomatoes peppers cheese with wax coating tins of fish my low carb bread butter portions and low carb muesli with a tin of coconut milk.
It was easy to stay lowcarb in Italy. Lots of fish and meat dishes with masses of vegetables I dodged the pasta and sugary gelato and actually found some sugarfree.
If you want to relax the rules a little keep pasta to a minimum and fill up on vegetables and salads instead and enjoy a glass or two of vino it will help keep your bg a little lower.
Don't feel guilty if you don't quite manage to stick to your new eating plan. A couple of weeks won't cause major damage especially if you don't go overboard totally.
Have a wonderful holiday x x

rtee

Thanks for all your advice. Because I'm flying the first leg I'll have to pack stuff in my main luggage, so some ideas may not work but there are def some ideas there I could use. Also some tips for when I get home too . I might try the ground almonds coconut drink today. Sounds delish!
This really is a great site. Everyone is so willing to share and so supportive. I'm looking forward to being able to share my tips and successes too.

rtee

have just made protein pancakes for breakfast for the first time. It's given me an idea. Make mini pancakes (like blinis) and take cheese/cold meat/boiled egg/ . What do you think? Won't squash or leak if packed in plastic box. Hoping to grab salad lunch in Paris!
WooHoo

rtee

Just noticed your post fraddycat.
I had an amazing time thankyou. Amazing food, lots of red wine, good company , and oh, the painting was good too.
AND I didn't put any weight on :D Even with wonderful homecooked Italian food.
Bgs were quite good too but I ate too many figs one day (medicinal purposes!) from the tree outside my room and Bg spiked that night. Obviously I'm sensitive to fruit sugars.
Travel food was mostly ok with salads available and I took some almonds and atkins bars.
Thanks for asking.
Not sure if you'll see this but ......

Fraddycat

Glad to hear it went well!! Well done with not putting on any weight, and even with the fresh fig overdose - I'm sure they must have been wonderful!!

I had a holiday at the end of August and I was quite anxious about what I would eat, but it was really fine, I was able to make good choices, and I lost half a pound!