Advice on lowering HbA1c before pregnancy

hannahshapley

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some advice, tips, recommendations on getting my HbA1c levels down as much as possible. I'm 28 and have had diabetes for 12 years. My control has always been up and down, but my last HBA1C was high.

There's no way I would start trying to conceive until it is totally safe for pregnancy, I would of course want to minimize any risk of complications. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it!

Thanks x

Reactions: notafanofsugar

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Your diabetes team at the hospital should be able to help. They offer planning pregnacy support at mine, that includes BS monitoring and advice, and help from a dietician.

hannahshapley

Your diabetes team at the hospital should be able to help. They offer planning pregnacy support at mine, that includes BS monitoring and advice, and help from a dietician.

Thanks very much! Hoping to get referred to another clinic as the one I currently go to has been too unreliable! I think the help from a dietician could be beneficial too.

Reactions: Kimberley2026

CathytheChef

My consultant tends to imply that when my blood sugar isn't perfect it's entirely my fault and it's something that's within my control. In my experience this simply isn't the case. The very best I ever got my HbA1c was 7.2, and that was with working my ass off day and night, until I got a Libre. It then fell to a consistent low 6 number with a lot less work. I changed to a CGM connected to my pump and it improved further, and I started on Fiasp last week and it's made a huge difference so I expect it to improve quite dramatically further again. My point is, it's not always anything you're doing wrong or anything you could do better - it's often more about finding the right treatment and technology options that work for you. It's incredibly frustrating because the things you need aren't always available - I self-funded the libre for 4 years and it's taken me about 3 years to be allowed to switch to Fiasp. Don't give up though - keep asking xx

Last edited:
Reactions: MrsA2