Advice on possible Type 2 Please

DeeWD

My blood sugar was found to be high on a recent check on my high blood pressure meds. My fasting blood test showed 8 and my doctor switched me off Bendroflumethiazide as this can increase sugar levels. I have been self testing for a few weeks now and taken all the sensible steps regarding diet, weight loss etc. I suffer absolutely none of the symptoms often given.

Now my question is about levels. I test in the morning before eating and it is around 8 to 10 and then again later in the afternoon before a meal which is around 8 but lower (6.8) if I have been more active. On a two hour test after eating it will have varied from 10 back to 8. The strange thing is that if I test just before bed it is lower than in the mornings. Does this suggest that there is a re-uptake of glucose from the muscles overnight?

The tests show that I do have insulin activity but why does the level stay too high? Would one dose of chemical insulin bring the levels to normal and then the normal daily fluctuation would be right?

Any comments appreciated

DeeWD

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi, DeeWD, and welcome.

First of all, it is perfectly possible to be fully Type 2 diabetic and not have any symptoms at all. I've never had any, but I do have Type 2.

There is a phenomenon called 'Dawn Phenomenon' (search this site for it) which is perfectly normal for everyone, diabetic or not. Put simply, the liver dumps some glucose into the system first thing, to get us going for the day. In a non-diabetic, whose pancreas is functioning properly and/or who don't have insulin resistance (search again!), insulin quickly copes with the glucose surge and drops the blood glucose back to 'normal' levels (ie, below 5.5). The Dawn Phenonenon could account for your high morning reading.

The rest of your readings taken during the day suggest diabetes to me, but I am not qualified and you should ask your doctor and get properly tested. The NICE guidelines (National Institute for Health & Clinical Excellence) for a non-diabetic are:

3.5 - 5.5 mmol/l, fasting/before meals
less than 8 mmol/l, 2 hours after meals.

You don't say when you test during the day in relation to your meals. Most of us try to test immediately before a meal and then 2 hours after; the 2-hour test should not be too many points higher than the one before you ate. This also tells you what foods 'spike' your readings too high - usually too much carbohydrate. That's very simplistic; have a look at the 'Advice for Newbies' thread to see the basic advice that this forum gives out for the newly diagnosed.

In your place I would go back to your doctor to check whether stopping your blood pressure meds has lowered your blood sugar readings. If not, ask him about diabetes and get yourself tested. The quicker you find out if you have it, the easier it can be to get in control of it.

If you are diagnosed diabetic, come back here and we'll give you all the support and help we can. Don't be afraid to ask questions - there's no such thing as a silly question on this site! :D

Viv 8)