Advice on returning to work please

Laura Jane

I am a kindergarten teacher for children ages 2-5 I have type 2 diabetes and I am expected to return to school next week, the question is should I? I am riddled with guilt about what to do. If I do not go back on Monday how long should I continue to stay away from work for as my head is pestering me? thanks

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your school has an obligation to do risk assessments so I'd speak to them. I know some schools are putting in place pretty robust controls.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Rozoid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am a teacher In a special school and type 1. My consultant said I need to work from home considering my job, and sent me a letter to send to my employer. I am lucky as my head teacher is really understanding and I do a lot of planning for colleagues, Plan home learning and phone calls home to the kids etc, so we, as a team, are sharing the load. It’s really hard though isn’t it, as you feel guilty for letting the team and the kids down. maybe you should contact your GP for advice/ letter? The little ones need their regular teachers but there is no way you will be able to keep it non contact.
I hope this helps.

Rebecca24601

I am a (T1) Y6 teacher so my class are all returning next week. I am continuing to teach from home. At the end of the day, I am no use to a class if I am unwell and I am safest working from home since there’s no possibility of distancing in schools. I don’t know where you are in the world but in the UK the governmental guidelines are for diabetics to be supported to work from home where possible.

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am (T1) special needs teacher in a primary, due to start back on Monday.
Our protocol stated that if in the vulnerable group - which I am. I had the choice of continuing to stay at home as previously or a role would be found for me in school avoiding others as much as possible - obviously at my own risk.
I chose to return to school, an appropriate risk assessment had been carried out. I will not be teaching in a bubble with children but have been allocated other necessary jobs. I am more than happy with this.
Good luck

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am T2 and a caretaker at a large school, I have been going in twice a week to do bits and pieces but we have been empty, 3 or 4 people at most, but we we are starting next week with key workers children and I will have to help with cleaning at the end of each day , I am really worried tbh, I expected to just do my work in the rest of the school as the kids are only going to be in 2 rooms....

Also 53, overweight, high blood pressure and cholesterol...

On the verge of ringing the docs.......

MicheleJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am a private cleaner and as a type 1 am keen to return to work even a few hours a week. I shall wear gloves to stop me touching my face but hope the cleaning products will help when I touch surfaces.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unison website

What if I have an underlying health condition or live with someone who has one of the conditions identified by government requiring strict social isolation? Do I have to come into school?
If you have an underlying health condition that puts you at greater risk, or one of the conditions identified by the government requiring strict social isolation, you should not be expected to attend the workplace. The same applies to employees who live with and/or have caring responsibilities for people meeting these criteria. All options for working at home should be considered, on full pay.

However, in some cases employers will have no option other than to accept that some employees will be staying at home on full pay for the duration of this emergency although unable to carry out work from home. This provision has been agreed under NJC Green Book terms, which cover the vast majority of local authority and academy schools, and other employers should do likewise in line with government guidance.

Janemkelleher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am a kindergarten teacher for children ages 2-5 I have type 2 diabetes and I am expected to return to school next week, the question is should I? I am riddled with guilt about what to do. If I do not go back on Monday how long should I continue to stay away from work for as my head is pestering me? thanks

Janemkelleher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Are you in the USA? I’m a headteacher in the uk and we have all been told to look at individual needs and adapt accordingly no one should be pestering you to return if you are anxious it is your own health here we are talking about I suggest you get a high risk letter from your doctor if you are nervous also in the uk we have all undertaken robust risk assessments for all staff and children so it shouldn’t be a problem but should be clear good luck

suzanjm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is something only you can decide with the support of your dr and boss. I’m type 1 and in the same boat, how ever I have spoke to my bosses and they have been very understanding so far. Once the whole school is back then I expect I will be too.

Steve Fisher

To me it’s a simple one word answer NO. I heard it said yesterday in an interview ..,,, if a plane loses pressure and the oxygen masks are made available you put on your mask first and then help others not the opposite. Your health should not be put at risk to help others.