Advice please

Hildaandhoward

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 71 and diagnosed T2 in March this year. No symptoms, just a young locum doctor going through her check list. I saw my usual doctor for the results. She said " It's over 7 so you are diabetic" nothing else.I found out later it was 7.6 An appointment came for an eye check , which I attended. All O.K., and another in a few months time to see a dietician. There was no suggestion from the doctor that I should monitor my BS or that further appointments were necessary. Since the initial consultation I have been LCHF and have lost 20 lb. Shall I just keep on with this way of eating.? My regular review with the doctor is not until Jan 2017.

chloebeth

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Other
20lbs is a lot of weight to lose in just over a month through diet alone. What was your starting weight?

It could be an indication that your sugars are high if you're losing weight rapidly, however, with low carbs it shouldn't be and 7.6 isn't horrendously high. I would recommend seeing your GP and mentioning about the weight loss and perhaps having some further routine blood tests. They should also be able to give you advice about monitoring also but in my opinion it's better to test and be knowledgeable about what makes you high/low. Unfortunately a lot of things can cause weight loss so it's hard to say! If you feel fitter and healthier with the diet changes theres no reason why you shouldn't stop.

Good luck!!

Hildaandhoward

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
20lbs is a lot of weight to lose in just over a month through diet alone. What was your starting weight?

It could be an indication that your sugars are high if you're losing weight rapidly, however, with low carbs it shouldn't be and 7.6 isn't horrendously high. I would recommend seeing your GP and mentioning about the weight loss and perhaps having some further routine blood tests. They should also be able to give you advice about monitoring also but in my opinion it's better to test and be knowledgeable about what makes you high/low. Unfortunately a lot of things can cause weight loss so it's hard to say! If you feel fitter and healthier with the diet changes theres no reason why you shouldn't stop.

Good luck!!
Start weight 13 . 2 lb
Now 11. 10 lb
Just finished 8 wk BS diet

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on that weight loss, it's marvelous. :)

Was your diagnosis done following a single fasting glucose test, or did you have an HbA1c test? That 7.6 could be either, but they are very different tests and you need to know what you had. If you contact the surgery they will tell you, and you can also ask for a print out of the results. It is wise to have this as you will find it very useful in times to come for comparisons.

I would also ring the surgery and ask if you are on the list for a diabetic review. Your first one should be about 3 months after your diagnosis, although some surgeries make it 6 months. At this you will have another HbA1c test to check on your progress, and medication will be considered if you have not improved. If you are not on the list, you need to make sure you get put on it. Don't slip through the net!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Yes, do arrange for another appointment with the nurse (or GP) for 3 or 6 months time. The doctor should have agreed this with you and not left it open. Arrange for a blood test around 2 weeks before the appointment. The surgery may arrange for you to see the nurse instead of the doc which should be fine. It sounds like you are managing your diet and weight loss very well. I would be careful (even avoid?) seeing a dietician as they can make things worse. Yes, do get hold of a meter.