Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @sadsocks The first 12 months can be a major upheaval, apart from a huge learning curve, it's also dealing with the many emotions attached to living with this 24 hours a day, it can take over your life. It does and will get easier in time, learning is really the key to handling this better, the DAFNE course is brilliant for getting to grips with this, please if you can see if you can get her onto this course, it will help in terms of meeting others, discussing everything type 1 related and will answer any questions she may have. I also recommend taking up exercise or meditation if it all seems to much, both will help hugely too. You sound like a wonderful mum, i'm sure she will be fine, best wishes J :)

Reactions: sadsocks

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@sadsocks sounds like you're doing a fantastic job! I've been diabetic for almost all my life and a few years ago I stopped talking to my parents about my diabetes as my control was bad and felt really guilty about admitting that things weren't going according to plan. What really opened me up to talking to my mum especially was when she approached it as a team- continual support, occasional advice and making me aware that if my bg was high it wasn't a reflection on how I was behaving as such, just a problem that we could discuss and solve, which it sounds like you are doing!

Reactions: sadsocks