Advice please

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys, if you were going to be having say peanut butter on toast or a peanut butter sandwich would you guys include the carbs in the pb in your bolus? x

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think about the only carbs I consider omitting are those found in very small amounts in some vegetables. I can't say for peanut butter itself as I don't know the average content (not a nut fan [yes I know peanuts aren't proper nuts!]) - does it have many carbs per spoonful?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I think it amounts to about 1g per teaspoon, so if you were having the equivalent of 5 teaspoons then yes i'd also factor this into my calculation, easy if you can round it up with the bread but check the label as some jars contain sugar and some don't :)

Reactions: kaylz91

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just checked my pot of peanut butter, and it has 8,8 grams of kh per 100 grams. How much peanut butter goes on a slice of bread? I guess about 10 to 20 grams. That would make 0,8 to 1,6 grams of kh. How does one bolus for that? And then there's the slice of bread you put it on. But you don't know exactly how many carbs it has. Of course you can weigh it and look on the package, but a two-day old bread has lost some of it's water and weight, but still has the same amount of carbs. I would say time of day/month/etc. and corresponding insulin-sensitivity has a lot more influence on choosing ones bolus than that one gram of carbs.
edit: but of course I would add it to the total estimated carb-count of my meal. The closer you get, the better. But I wouldn't worry about it being 0,8 or 1,6 grams.

BigIain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Carbs
I was looking at peanut butter there is a massive variation in carb/ sugar/ protein. It seemed the more it costs the less carbs ...

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Carbs and cals says that a tablespoon is 2g of carb. Fill your boots! Lmao

Reactions: porl69

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got big boots.. size 13!
Never fill your own boots with peanut butter. Filling someone elses boots can be fun though .
And more on-topic : it seems I accidentally bought a relatively low carb peanut butter. It happens to be Lidl's and cheap, but they probably sell a different peanut butter in the UK, as I can't imagine yours is named Helaes Pindakaas as well.

Reactions: Sibyl

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Never fill your own boots with peanut butter. Filling someone elses boots can be fun though .
And more on-topic : it seems I accidentally bought a relatively low carb peanut butter. It happens to be Lidl's and cheap, but they probably sell a different peanut butter in the UK, as I can't imagine yours is named Helaes Pindakaas as well.

We too bought Lidl’s peanut butter here in Leeds. It was put to a taste test in one of the papers and was only beaten by Marks and Spencer’s very expensive version. It was bought for me, but my husband has eaten it. Although I love peanuts, peanut butter seems all kinds of wrong and I haven’t tried it yet.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it amounts to about 1g per teaspoon, so if you were having the equivalent of 5 teaspoons then yes i'd also factor this into my calculation, easy if you can round it up with the bread but check the label as some jars contain sugar and some don't :)
So say if you were to have a pb and cucumber sandwich (I don't know WHY I want to as I've never even had it before so don't know if I like it! lol) but anyways you would include the bread, pb and cucumber as the serving of pb and cucumber I'd be having comes in at about 3g? Sorry to be a pain :( but with my mental health the way it is with food etc I want to be certain xx

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Of course you can weigh it and look on the package, but a two-day old bread has lost some of it's water and weight, but still has the same amount of carbs
Have you actually put this to the test and proved it? Just curious as I don't find this to be the case at all, when I get a fresh loaf I weigh it all to know how long its going to last me so I know when to add it to the shopping list and 9 times out of 10 the bread weighs the same 5 days later than it did the day I bought it xx

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
So say if you were to have a pb and cucumber sandwich (I don't know WHY I want to as I've never even had it before so don't know if I like it! lol) but anyways you would include the bread, pb and cucumber as the serving of pb and cucumber I'd be having comes in at about 3g? Sorry to be a pain :( but with my mental health the way it is with food etc I want to be certain xx

Hi Kaylz - yes definitely include the PB and bread - the cucumber has negligible carbs so ignore this, I count everything that passes my lips, I also only used sliced bread to ensure I know exactly how many carbs per slice, I rarely use fresh bread. At the moment I use Livilife bread which is a protein bread and has 3.7g of carbs per slice. Do you use a half unit pen ?

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kaylz - yes definitely include the PB and bread - the cucumber has negligible carbs so ignore this, I count everything that passes my lips, I also only used sliced bread to ensure I know exactly how many carbs per slice, I rarely use fresh bread. At the moment I use Livilife bread which is a protein bread and has 3.7g of carbs per slice. Do you use a half unit pen ?
The serving of cucumber would have the same amount of carbs as the pb though? so I would need to include it too, yes I have a half unit pen as it was established that a full unit was too much for correction, then too much for food sometimes too lol x

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The serving of cucumber would have the same amount of carbs as the pb though? so I would need to include it too, yes I have a half unit pen as it was established that a full unit was too much for correction, then too much for food sometimes too lol x

Cucumber has almost zero carbs. You’d have to eat a truck load.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You would have to eat half a cucumber for 1g of carb, which I doubt you would do in a sandwich so just focus on the bread and PB for counting the carbs - have you tried doing Bertie ? It's a good course to get your head round carbs: https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
the bread weighs the same 5 days later than it did the day I bought it
Ah, you're probably a lot better than I am with closing up the bag after getting a slice of bread!

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've got big boots.. size 13!
I'm not keen on measuring by teaspoons/tablespoons (or cups) etc all my spoons are different. I believe a standard UK tablespoon is 15ml , Australian tablespoon = 20ml and many Victorian tablespoons are typically 25ml which a difference of 60% on UK.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You would have to eat half a cucumber for 1g of carb, which I doubt you would do in a sandwich so just focus on the bread and PB for counting the carbs - have you tried doing Bertie ? It's a good course to get your head round carbs: https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/
I like my veg, today I had ham and cucumber and that was 70g cucumber which is just over 1g carb and I could have had more on the sandwich so yeah I need to include it x