Type 2 Advice please

mcgreal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I am a 55 year old menopausal female and have type 2. It is controlled by diet but I need to increase my exercise so I have decided to challenge myself to cycle 220 miles over 4 days. I currently do very little exercise but my job involves being on my feet all day. Any advice welcome re training, mental preparation, what to take with me, what to eat etc; especially if you have undertaken something similar. Thank you.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mcgreal,
That's an impressive task you have set for youself 220 miles in 4 days.
My biggest advice would be bring a cushion to sit on. My bum gets soar after 1 hour on the bike. :meh:

But this trick may help with muscle fatigue 2 breaths in and 2 breaths out, (through the mouth not nose) it pushes energy to the muscles faster. I keep these breaths in pace with the speed I'm going so peddle breath ,pedal breath and pedal breath out, peddle breath out.
I find I can go for much longer with no muscle fatigue like this give it a try. ;)

What's your diet like how do you handle carbs? :bookworm:
The usual idea is carbs in before exercise to give your body access to plenty of quick easy energy to feed the muscles and protein after exercise to repair the wear and tear on the muscles.

What kind of pace are you setting for yourself?
I find that 20-25 mile in an hour is comfortable for me, with out having to push my speed or endurance.
But your going a greater distance what are you aiming for 10-15 mph for 4-5 hours each day?

What kind of pace are you used to?
And what kind of breaks have you set for yourself ie.. cycle for an 1&1/2 hours and rest for 45 mins, rinse and repeat.

Lastly how have you broken the journey up?
Are you planning 55 miles a day for each of the 4 days?
Or some thing like 70 for each of the first 2 day and then 40 miles for each of the last 2 days.

You may get a great benefit from having less to do on the last couple of days when your muscles are feeling fatigued. ;)
:bag:

mcgreal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good advice about breaks and cycling fewer miles on the last 2 days. I hadn't thought about that so will factor that in. Thank you

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good advice about breaks and cycling fewer miles on the last 2 days. I hadn't thought about that so will factor that in. Thank you
Glad I could be of some help.
It's shocking to me if you ask a question about diet people will be tripping over themselves to offer helpful advice but mention exercise and the silence is deafening. ;)

Try the double breathing trick next time your practising and let me know if it works for you.
And let us know when you start your 220 challenge I'm sure there will be plenty of moral support on offer.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Cycling, huh?
O.K., brace yourself for too much advice.:)

First thing is to get a cycle which fits you and also fits your style of cycling. It could be anything from a full blown racer with carbon frame and skinny tyres to a sit up and beg shopper. Do you already have a bike? You may need to adjust things like the saddle to make it comfortable for a long ride. I expect that you will be in the saddle for around 5 hours each day - even 3 hours, a lunch break, then another 2 hours is a long time in the saddle and you have to be really, really comfortable.

Second thing is to build yourself up gently. If you don't do much exercise then setting out on a long 4 day bike ride is likely to end in tears. If your aim is to average 55 miles each day then it would be good to have done at least 40 miles in a day before you start.

Third thing; is there a local cycling club? You may need advice on bike fit, pedalling style and cadence, best sort of clothing to wear and many other things. You can also get good advice from a GOOD local bike shop. The trick is to find a good one.

Fourth thing; can you find a training buddy? Like walking and running, it makes a lot of difference if you have somebody to cycle with. You encourage each other to go out for a ride when the weather isn't nice or you are feeling unmotivated and you tend to go at a slightly faster pace when there are two or more of you cycling.

O.K. - no more counting! Proper cycling shorts (with built in padding) worn next to the skin are a must for me to avoid soreness down below. I used Baby Cream on the padding before a ride and it keeps my bum from ending up chafed. A rear view mirror is a great help to keep an eye on what is behind you. Lycra (yeah, I know about MAMILs) is very suitable for cycling. Light, warm, and not too sweaty. There is a reason why serious cyclists wear it and it isn't so they are mistaken for TdF contenders. Reflective clothing is a very good thing on long rides. Being visible is generally a good thing. Mudguards are a great help. It may well rain at some point and it can be a pain to have a streak of muddy water up your back and your front. Good lights are a must; some cyclists have flashing lights during the day just to make themselves more visible but they are necessary in case of bad weather or being out after dusk.

Plan on an average speed of 11 mph when doing your route planning, unless you have already done your 40 miles at a much higher average speed without even breaking into a sweat.

Be aware that hills can ruin your whole day. If your long distance route has more hills than your training route allow extra time and also expect to be more tired than you expected. There is a reason that touring bikes tend to have mountain bike gearing; at some time you are going to be tired and faced with a long steep hill so having a very low gear and just plugging away can be a lot better than having to get off and walk.

I assume that you will be pre-booking accommodation and not carrying a tent with you.:wideyed:

Finally, on diet.

Since I started on LCHF I find that I can ride up to 50k (about 35 miles) on my morning cup of coffee, butter and double cream. As far as I can remember I couldn't do that when I was running on carbohydrate. So you need to decide if you are going to be fuelled by fat or by carbohydrates and plan your meals to suit. Allegedly fat burning is better for endurance rides. YMMV.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

It can also be better to have a slightly shorter first day as you settle into the routine of long distance cycling and get your legs used to the idea.

So perhaps medium, long, long, short for your 4 days. You don't want to be demotivated by the end of the first day or the start of the last day.

Also take into account the number of hills on each day.

mcgreal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Mcgreal,
That's an impressive task you have set for youself 220 miles in 4 days.
My biggest advice would be bring a cushion to sit on. My bum gets soar after 1 hour on the bike. :meh:

But this trick may help with muscle fatigue 2 breaths in and 2 breaths out, (through the mouth not nose) it pushes energy to the muscles faster. I keep these breaths in pace with the speed I'm going so peddle breath ,pedal breath and pedal breath out, peddle breath out.
I find I can go for much longer with no muscle fatigue like this give it a try. ;)

What's your diet like how do you handle carbs? :bookworm:
The usual idea is carbs in before exercise to give your body access to plenty of quick easy energy to feed the muscles and protein after exercise to repair the wear and tear on the muscles.

What kind of pace are you setting for yourself?
I find that 20-25 mile in an hour is comfortable for me, with out having to push my speed or endurance.
But your going a greater distance what are you aiming for 10-15 mph for 4-5 hours each day?

What kind of pace are you used to?
And what kind of breaks have you set for yourself ie.. cycle for an 1&1/2 hours and rest for 45 mins, rinse and repeat.

Lastly how have you broken the journey up?
Are you planning 55 miles a day for each of the 4 days?
Or some thing like 70 for each of the first 2 day and then 40 miles for each of the last 2 days.

You may get a great benefit from having less to do on the last couple of days when your muscles are feeling fatigued. ;)
Thank you, I 'll let you know when I undertake the challenge

mcgreal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Cycling, huh?
O.K., brace yourself for too much advice.:)

First thing is to get a cycle which fits you and also fits your style of cycling. It could be anything from a full blown racer with carbon frame and skinny tyres to a sit up and beg shopper. Do you already have a bike? You may need to adjust things like the saddle to make it comfortable for a long ride. I expect that you will be in the saddle for around 5 hours each day - even 3 hours, a lunch break, then another 2 hours is a long time in the saddle and you have to be really, really comfortable.

Second thing is to build yourself up gently. If you don't do much exercise then setting out on a long 4 day bike ride is likely to end in tears. If your aim is to average 55 miles each day then it would be good to have done at least 40 miles in a day before you start.

Third thing; is there a local cycling club? You may need advice on bike fit, pedalling style and cadence, best sort of clothing to wear and many other things. You can also get good advice from a GOOD local bike shop. The trick is to find a good one.

Fourth thing; can you find a training buddy? Like walking and running, it makes a lot of difference if you have somebody to cycle with. You encourage each other to go out for a ride when the weather isn't nice or you are feeling unmotivated and you tend to go at a slightly faster pace when there are two or more of you cycling.

O.K. - no more counting! Proper cycling shorts (with built in padding) worn next to the skin are a must for me to avoid soreness down below. I used Baby Cream on the padding before a ride and it keeps my bum from ending up chafed. A rear view mirror is a great help to keep an eye on what is behind you. Lycra (yeah, I know about MAMILs) is very suitable for cycling. Light, warm, and not too sweaty. There is a reason why serious cyclists wear it and it isn't so they are mistaken for TdF contenders. Reflective clothing is a very good thing on long rides. Being visible is generally a good thing. Mudguards are a great help. It may well rain at some point and it can be a pain to have a streak of muddy water up your back and your front. Good lights are a must; some cyclists have flashing lights during the day just to make themselves more visible but they are necessary in case of bad weather or being out after dusk.

Plan on an average speed of 11 mph when doing your route planning, unless you have already done your 40 miles at a much higher average speed without even breaking into a sweat.

Be aware that hills can ruin your whole day. If your long distance route has more hills than your training route allow extra time and also expect to be more tired than you expected. There is a reason that touring bikes tend to have mountain bike gearing; at some time you are going to be tired and faced with a long steep hill so having a very low gear and just plugging away can be a lot better than having to get off and walk.

I assume that you will be pre-booking accommodation and not carrying a tent with you.:wideyed:

Finally, on diet.

Since I started on LCHF I find that I can ride up to 50k (about 35 miles) on my morning cup of coffee, butter and double cream. As far as I can remember I couldn't do that when I was running on carbohydrate. So you need to decide if you are going to be fuelled by fat or by carbohydrates and plan your meals to suit. Allegedly fat burning is better for endurance rides. YMMV.

Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated. I am gradually increasing the number of miles and I low carb but I haven't bought any lycra yet!

mcgreal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It can also be better to have a slightly shorter first day as you settle into the routine of long distance cycling and get your legs used to the idea.

So perhaps medium, long, long, short for your 4 days. You don't want to be demotivated by the end of the first day or the start of the last day.

Thank you for your advice. I haven't finally decided on the number of miles each day but your idea is appealing

mcgreal

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated