Advice please

Glennis67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m new to testing my glucose so I’m still learning how to interpret my numbers. When I wake, before eating, I’m around 4.7.

Had a “carby” pasta meal, small beer and a naughty slice of ciabatta at around 16.00.

Wide awake at midnight and reading was 6.1.

Wide awake at 3.00 and now 6.5!

Is it normal for the reading to go up over this length of time?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m new to testing my glucose so I’m still learning how to interpret my numbers. When I wake, before eating, I’m around 4.7.

Had a “carby” pasta meal, small beer and a naughty slice of ciabatta at around 16.00.

Wide awake at midnight and reading was 6.1.

Wide awake at 3.00 and now 6.5!

Is it normal for the reading to go up over this length of time?
Your testing is relatively random and won't tell you much. Your fasring 4.7 is fine, though. If you test in the middle of the night you might be seeing Dawn Phenomenon; when you wake up, your liver dumps some glucose into your bloodstream to give you energy to start the day. Hence the rise between those 2 nightly tests. If you want to know what impact food is having, which is more useful, test before a meal and 2 hours after. If you go up more than 2.0 mmol/l that meal was carbier than you could process back out again. (Which might also explain why you were still in sixes hours after your meal... That was a lot of carbs...!)

Hope this helps!

Glennis67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your testing is relatively random and won't tell you much. Your fasring 4.7 is fine, though. If you test in the middle of the night you might be seeing Dawn Phenomenon; when you wake up, your liver dumps some glucose into your bloodstream to give you energy to start the day. Hence the rise between those 2 nightly tests. If you want to know what impact food is having, which is more useful, test before a meal and 2 hours after. If you go up more than 2.0 mmol/l that meal was carbier than you could process back out again. (Which might also explain why you were still in sixes hours after your meal... That was a lot of carbs...!)

Hope this helps!

Thank you for replying. It’s a constant learning curve!

Reactions: JoKalsbeek