Type 1 Advice Please.

Betty98

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Everyone.

Looking for some advice, I'm T1 and currently suffering with what I think is flu and some sickness. Through out today and yesterday my ketones have been climbing and I'm currently at 0.9.
At what point would you seek medical advice if at all?
Tia Beth

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Everyone.

Looking for some advice, I'm T1 and currently suffering with what I think is flu and some sickness. Through out today and yesterday my ketones have been climbing and I'm currently at 0.9.
At what point would you seek medical advice if at all?
Tia Beth
Hi
Keep an eye on your levels and keep drinking that water and if you can inject more rapid insulin. Above 1.6 ketones is high but obviously if you have any symptoms of dka then reconsider but keep checking. Above all try not to stress as that will raise your bs and in turn keep those ketones floating around. Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @Betty98 , I agree with @Jaylee 's advice to follow the sick day rules he linked to.

0.9 ketones isn't a worry, but keep an eye on it.

The thing with illness is that if you've got a flu bug floating around, the body sends out defence cells to fight it off, those cells use glucose as energy to do their work, the liver releases glucose for that purpose, but because we're T1 and don't make insulin, the releases glucose just stacks up and can't be used by the defence cells. So we need to inject more to let the defence cells get fuelled up and fighting.

Even if I'm not in a full on sick day rules situation with high ketones, I still find that I've got to bump up my bolus shots a fair bit, between meals too as a correction, but the amount depends entirely on the individual.

It can be a tricky balancing act - how much extra is enough to keep in line and how much would drag you into a hypo - but, hey, T1 would be boring if it was simple...

Good luck!

Reactions: gemma_T1

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Betty98 good advice from Jaylee above.

Personally I don't worry about ketones unles I am running over 17mmol/l for a prolonged period of time and correction doses aren't hitting the mark, other signs to watch out for include pear breath, excessive thirst, peeing, extreme fatigue, this is the point I would seek help.

Keep drinking lots of fluids, regular testing and hope your feeling much better soon.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
i @Betty98, Sorry to hear you are feeling poorly. Ketones can happen for various reasons such as
if you have not eaten for a while.
But for me it is the combo of high BSLs and ketones that worries me.
I often find with a cold or other lurgy I need to up my insulin doses by 20% at least.
If my BSLs were approaching >18 mmol/l with high ketones and no sign of getting lower I ring for help !please see the ketone chart below for some idea but always check with your health team if you are not sure.
Best Wishes for a quick recovery!!

IMG_4108.jpg