Advice please .....

Oscarbeaumont

I was diagnosed at T2 nearly six months ago with a blood sugar level of 65. With some hard work and a lot of exercise Ive lost 3 stones and my blood sugar level was own to 50 after 3 months. Im due another blood test at the end of the month so fingers crossed it will go down even further. Now Ive been following a broadly Keto diet, avoiding beige stuff and feel very good in myself. However, Im off this weekend to Riding Club camp (I have a horse). Basically its 4 riding lessons and lots of hacking and its going to be great fun but exhausting physically. I know there will be lots of home made treats on offer as the food is great where I am staying. I have had the odd reaction to high sugar food - feel very tired and exhausted, but exercise seems to solve it. Im going to be doing a lot of exercise over the next three days and wondered if I did indulge a small amount if this will affect my next blood sugar reading as am keen to see it below 50. I would add Im not taking any drugs for diabetes, apart from Amlodopin and Ramipril for high blood pressure, which is now down to a level my GP is happy with. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

What great results you have had- I'm more than a bit envious. I'm assuming you have a meter snd do regularish testing.

I hope you have a great time on the camp. My suggestions ( being a newbie) is to take your meter and maybe some low carb snacks so that you have something to eat if you get really hungry. By now you have an idea of what foods keep you levels down and if you test and your levels are down you can try indulging a bit and testing how your levels are going.

Have a great time and let us know how it goes.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
You may find as I have, that you won't really want sugary foods anymore. Take your meter and test regularly. Exercise burns off BG, so it shouldn't effect your next HBA1C materially if you are a bit naughty for a few days.

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done on your result.

Enjoy your time with the horses, have the odd little treat and don't over do it.

Live life to the Full.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
3 days of "off" sugars won't affect your 3 month average (hba1c) much, but be aware that sugar is addictive so you may find that having just a few "treats" is a bit like an ex-smoker just having a few cigarettes.

Enjoy your time with the horses, have the odd little treat and don't over do it.
But this sounds good.

Have fun