Type 1 Advice please

Geordie Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos/high blood sugars
I think I didn’t give myself my 3 units of Levemir at 7.00pm. BS now 17.6, although I have given myself 1.5 correction before I thought that I may have somehow overlooked the long term. Could I give myself the 3 units Levemir now??
Any help appreciated

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, sorry if this seems obvious, but are you using a prefilled pen or a reusable pen? The reusable pens where you just switch the cartridges will record what the last dose was which the pen dispensed. Has been great for me when I've been in your situation!

Wouldn't feel confident to comment on next steps without knowing your usual levemir doses. My understanding is that levemir can take up to 1hr to kick in, and be in your system for as little as 12 hrs and as much as 25 (everyone reacts differently). If you're on twice daily levemir as a lot of people are, I'd be tempted to run a bit higher overnight until your morning levemir dose. I say that rather than risking hypos by having double your levemir tonight, and instead use your bolus to correct before bed but again this can take a while to kick in so be careful not to stack up doses and risk a hypo later.

Are you feeling otherwise unwell? Have you a means of testing ketones? Hope you are able to have a restful night!

Edited for clarity

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Normally you would use your Bolus insulin to correct for high BS like I did last night when I found I was around 16mmol. Basal (Levemir) is less critical as it provides a 24hour background effect but if you forget it you can do it when you remember but take account of timing and check a bit more often with the meter to avoid a hypo. BTW I'm assuming your are on the two insulin Basal/Bolus regime?

Geordie Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos/high blood sugars
Hi, thanks for the replies. I am on two injection Basal/Bolus regime and had given myself a small 1 unit correction but BS still went up.
I checked my pen which didn’t register anything so because I was feeling unwell being high I decided to give myself the long lasting 3 units at 10pm. Gave myself my morning Levemir 2hrs later this am. I’m hoping all will be back to normal routine in a day or two.
I checked my pen (one where I put cartridges in)to see if recorded anything and it hasn’t. Think maybe I’ll request a new one.
Thanks for your input.,will have to try and not get distracted when I should be injecting .