advice please

saralou78

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
animal cruelty and rude people
hi everyone i had weetabix this morning but it sent my sugar very high, what is the best cereal to have for breakfast. also can you give me some advice one what is really bad to eat im so confused on carbs and what not to eat im type 2 on metformin;)

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sadly, I can't eat any breakfast cereal. For about 30 years I ate bran flakes with a seed sprinkle and chopped up fruit for breakfast , thought it was good for me, but have had to stop.
I now have a 2 egg omelette every day for breakfast, I am beginning to like it!!!! I can't eat bread, potatoes, pasta, pizza (although I do occasionally have a large slice and just eat the topping), cereals, most fruit, an endless list!

What I can eat is meat, fish, salads, above ground vegetables,nuts and some seeds. It is quite restrictive but for my long term health I have to try and keep my glucose within normal limits but it is difficult. I am sure you will get lots more advice on here.

Are you newly diagnosed?

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya. Just for starters I suggest you abandon all cereals, cold or hot, until you get sorted. Some people can manage cereals in small doses but don't bank on it for yourself.
Instead of sugary stuff, try fat. It doesn't make you fat!
So how about bacon and egg? Omelette? Fish is good -- salmon & scrambled egg.
Try the breakfast thread http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/healthy-and-unhealthy-breakfasts.67444/

Reactions: 2 people

saralou78

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
animal cruelty and rude people
Thanks guys every morning I feel tired and I think its the breakfast I eat

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys every morning I feel tired and I think its the breakfast I eat
If you're trying to reduce your carbohydrate intake, you'll probably need to increase the amount of fats and oils you eat to replace the energy you're losing from this reduction, particularly if you're feeling so tired.

Cereals are generally not a good idea, but we all differ in what we can manage to eat without spiking (too much), so you do need to rely on your meter to tell you how well your body is reacting to different foods, and adjust your diet accordingly. Do as @DeejayR has suggested, or try things like berries with cream or full fat Greek yoghurt, and coffee and cream. If you try to think of breakfast as a "just another meal" it may hopefully make your morning food choices easier - you don't then have to eat cereals for it.:p

Robbity

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i found cereals spiked me so i do tend to have bacon and eggs