Advice re strange levels

Pokadot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Was diagnosed in June last year and not been on dafne course yet, wondering if anyone can offer me some of there wisdom.

Today before lunch my level was 3.8, had a small portion of chilli and rice for lunch with a banana totalling 4.8 cp and injected 4 units of basal. 2 hours later my level was 6.3. Had nothing since lunch but when I tested before my tea was 8.4.

Don't really know what I should have done differently, should I have split the basal up and done half a dose after and the half 2 hours later?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I'm guessing you injected bolus not basal ? My guess would be you underestimated the rice ? Could just be one of those days. I have certain foods that don't follow the rules and I need to inject more for. French Stick for example. I don't worry too much about one off dodgy readings. Maybe try it again another day ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
K, 3.8 before lunch may suggest too much qa before breakfast, good level after lunch, and the sight raise afterwards could be too little basal. If you do increase basal (long acting) your qa (bolus) may need reducing.
Wouldn't like to say for sure, but, as your newly diagnosed would suggest discussing with.your dsn before making any adjustments.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I think you probably underestimated the carbs in your lunch, it would have to be a very small portion of chilli and rice to get below 50g of carbs when you take into consideration a banana can have anything from 15 - 40g of carbs (depending on size).

My guess is you miscalculated as I said and the fat in the chilli delayed the bg rise, hence your good 2 hour bg reading and your not-so-good preprandial level later on