Advice with libre results

Coopsman1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I have done a fair bit of basal testing using the libre and noticed a trend where my BG rises from around 9pm till 3am. It can often reach 15, however come 6 or 7am it drops to around 7 or 8.
I'm not convinced taking more is the answer due to the drop, and wondered what your advice would be.
1e08da571de1eaa992d3244813b9064b.jpg

Fearless36

There really is no need to take more per se, as its probably just your longer acting insulin needs time to kick in, plus in the waking hours our bodies start producing the get up and go hormones so its not uncommon at all for these things to happen. I used to find repeated upon waking at 6/7am that my sugars seemed relatively high and was initially worried until my doctor explain that this is in reality a normal effective and most peoples bodies start firing up at that time to get up and go. Nothing to worry over. Speak to your doctor for his advice, but I wouldn't be worried as those waking levels are in a good range.

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What is your current basal regime? If you're taking a split dose of Levemir for example, it could be that the morning shot is fading out before the evening shot kicks in, leaving a gap in basal coverage. Also, what do you eat for dinner? It's possible that protein and/or carbs from a slow-digesting meal are causing a spike, made more severe by a gap in basal coverage.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On injections the best you can do it split the dose........and play about with the timings.....

I tended to start the DP rise about 4am so my split dose was before bed at about 11:00pm and upon waking a 6-7am...

You should maybe split and take and 8am/8pm timing.....

trial and error finding the sweet spot...

Coopsman1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all. I currently split my levemir at 7am / 7pm, and my morning dose seems to hold my levels steady all day with 9u. Any more and I hypo in the day. Several tests have proven this.

My evening 21u seems to be I effective until early morning, but it's the constant waking in the night with cotton mouth that is making me more irritable.

Tea seems to have negligible effect, as basal testing shows the rise regardless. I will speak to my gp though.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would maybe try and give yourself your evening dose closer to bed time.....this means more of the dose will be active and therefore stronger later in the evening and morning....

Is the 21 the most you can go?

Obviously taking at bed means the daytime dose will likely run out before the next dose and so compensation with a different insulin/carb ratio at dinner may be needed...

see what the doc says.....

Reactions: Coopsman1

TonyBlue

Hi - this mirrors mine exactly having worn a libre for 2 weeks this has shown up in my graph during the night so about to meet my DSN to review and resolve during the day pretty good readings. Must admit after 27 years as a diabetic never thought my sugars went this high during the night so positive information using the libre to work on.