Advised to reuse lances? Is that right?

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Started by changing every time. Decided this wasn't worth it so moved to changing once a day. However I seem to have drifted to changing every few days now. No ill effects but that doesn't mean there never could be.

Reactions: Ultramum

westwoodsa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
At a recent appointment with my diabetic nurse I succeeded in being prescribed a meter and strips, but when I asked about lances I was told there were plenty in the box with the meter and I could just reuse them anyway. Is that really right? My instinct is to use once and replace to maintain good hygiene, but the nurse said it would be fine. What do you do?

westwoodsa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
At a recent appointment with my diabetic nurse I succeeded in being prescribed a meter and strips, but when I asked about lances I was told there were plenty in the box with the meter and I could just reuse them anyway. Is that really right? My instinct is to use once and replace to maintain good hygiene, but the nurse said it would be fine. What do you do?

westwoodsa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Only when I remember which can be week's personally never had a problem in 20year's and to be honest don't have time to change everytime especially when at work but we are all different and you should use how you feel is right for you

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use the Accu fast clix,every time before a test I flick it onto a new lancet ,guess thats habit and paranoia.

Dock Drumming

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't understand why you wouldn't change it every time you use it. Isn't that what you are supposed to do? I mean, sometimes I forget to take one out before I put another in, but I NEVER reuse them.

Reactions: Pipp

Jonnock

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I'm afraid I don't change mine until I think they have lost their sharpness - been diabetic 30 years never had a problem, I guess if we can save money safely we should

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The single use ones are a nuisance as they are fiddly to change, but I was more likely to change them than the ones enclosed in a drum. Accuchek fastclix. Used each one several times until I noticed fingers were getting small bruises, and scarring. Very sore too. So I change to a new lancet each time now.

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have about 1000 of the individual blue kind which I change every time I test but when they are all used up I put them in a steamer for half an hour or so to sterilise them and I use them again.
I used to have those and have actually found many other uses for them!! Probably shouldn't but their stubbiness means they are sometimes useful where a pin just won't work! Maybe I'm just too practical but I can't imagine that no one else has not had a use for the trusty lancet?....

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't change mine very often! When I first had a drum type lancet I thought I would but alas I just pick the pricker up and go, occasionally I think I may of been on number 6 a while now perhaps I'll move it on.

Swiftnick

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Beetroot

I was advised to change lances for every test, but when I'm driving this is inconvenient. But I do change them every day. I'm now wondering if this is more frequent than I need to.

And what's with washing hands every time? I find that next to impossible, and regularly have diesel / petrol / mud on my hands when I test.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I read that reusing them can affect your blood results on your monitor

ewpfaffly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Conflict
I change mine when it starts to hurt, usually every month. But I do use alcohol prep every time and so far I haven't got an infection or sore finger tips. I even reuse my needles. I change them out every week, bad I know, but so far have not had any issues. I keep them in the fridge along with my insulin. Since the V.A. sends me free supplies I should probably trade them out every time. The most important thing for me is that they pay for my test strips and insulin which saves me a ton of money. I ran out of test strips once and the local Wal-Mart wanted 87 dollars for one container of Accu-check Aviva strips. I have seen other meters that cost only $20.00 USD and the strips are way less expensive. If the V.A. didn't pay for them I would probably switch brands but I do think they are taking advantage of the govt. having a contract with them.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I actually did a test on myself. I used the same needle 5 times up to 4 times my result was between 5.6. to 5.8 The 5th time straight away was 6.4.. I thought I know that is not right how can it go up so much in a matter of moments. I then put a new needle in and did my bloods twice more and the result was 5.4 and 5.5 So there was a difference

Gabrielle_Tai

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I change mine once a day, too lazy to put in a new needle when you test like 8 to 12 times a day.

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I use a new one every time. Only time more than once is when I don't draw blood with the first stab and I use it again right away. What is the reason for not using a new one each time? Cost? It is the test strip that cost the most and we can't reuse them. My Dario Lancets are only $9.95 CDN per 100 (that is 10 cents each), compared to test strips at $79.95 CDN per 100 (80 cents each). Free shipping with a $150 CDN order of supplies. For reference that is 1 GBP = $1.70 dollar Canadian : $79.95 CDN = 49.2 GBP ). Being a senior (has to be some benefit with aging LOL) our government health care covers "x" strips per year depending on your level of Diabetes and my company health plan covers 80% of the rest. Free sharps disposal container from the pharmacy (chemist). So, new one every time. That all said, the Diabetes clinic I go to says I don't have to test after being diagnosed and they check my A1C and levels every 3 months on checkups. Uhh, nope ... I want to know what foods/diet affect me and how I am doing. It is my body and life, not theirs.

Badger1963

Type of diabetes
Type 2
We are lucky in Scotland we get them free here but I have used them more than once when On holiday if I run low on them know problems yet

Bud1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I change them when ever it occurs to me, I suppose there’s “ experts “ will tell you single use only, but it’s whatever you feel comfortable with.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I change mine each time these days, there's 6 on each cartridge, the device I had before probably monthly though! Saying that when I was diagnosed in 1984 they expected you to use a syringe at least 6 times, and even later when the pen tips were first available on a script (we were expected to arrive at the hospital for a box of 500) they were a bit tight with their prescription.

I'd guess as time goes by the needle will lose its edge and blunt, I'd also guess the cartridge of 6 aren't as sharp as they once were, so yes, change each time.

I'm testing around 10 x a day mind....