Advised to reuse lances? Is that right?

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I am on my third lancet since October. Test multiple times a day and no problems here. When they are $20 for 100, which would only last me roughly 2 weeks, I am not changing everytime. Also, just because the manufacturer says they are single use, doesn't mean that is true. They want your $$, they are not going to say use them as long as you like.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I think I am on my third lancet since October. Test multiple times a day and no problems here. When they are $20 for 100, which would only last me roughly 2 weeks, I am not changing everytime. Also, just because the manufacturer says they are single use, doesn't mean that is true. They want your $$, they are not going to say use them as long as you like.
Be careful when you do this. The point deforms with repeated use and can damage the tissues resulting in scarring. You can even promote infection from previously used lancets. If you must reuse them, ensure that they are sterile.

Reactions: Struma

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I change them when they begin to hurt, every couple of weeks. Never had an infection and I am immune compromised.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I change mine about every couple of weeks or so - usually prompted by them starting to hurt.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got 2 different lancers - the one which takes individual "single use" prickers I change every time, the one which takes a sealed drum with multiple prickers I reuse multiple times

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Changed mine this morning. It's a 6 barrel Accu Chek multi clix. It must be 2 or 3 years since I last changed it.

Reactions: Jonnock

coxymk2

I use mine once. I have always had a problem with any little scrape or scratch I tend to get an infection and I've had this problem all my life so rather be safe than sorry

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I reuse mine all the time. Change them occasionally when I remember. Never had a problem at all even when testing many times a day. I have never had a problem with basically using the same finger all the time either. I test the blood drop and then lick my finger to clean up the blood. Testing finger is perfectly good and skin is as soft as the one on other hand I never use.

MelissaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I change mine every time I test. Quite surprised that the nurse told you to re-use them, which I'm sure is probably fine, but I expect she isn't really meant to say that! Whatever you're comfortable with is fine though :)

C-Mack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the first few months I changed each time... that got tedious and I started slacking so now I change each time I open a new set of strips.

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
I generally change mine with every use. Occasionally I may reuse one once or twice but that is more by accident than the norm. However, with immunity compromised, and with me working/living in a high-risk environment, I value my relatively good health above the cost of a few lancets.

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I generally always use a new lancet, unless I'm out and about and don't have a lot of space or time. Then I will end up reusing a lancet a second or third time max.

After the third time (and on the lowest setting, mine is set to 1) I start noticing that my skin gets torn instead of pierced, so fresh lancets are a must.

They are covered by insurance so I never have to pay for the basic amount though. (After 400 per 3 months I have to buy them myself.) I totally get that people who buy them with their own money reuse them, but I personally always recommend using fresh ones whenever possible. I never have sore fingertips or anything like that despite testing up to 7-10 times a day.

Reactions: Ultramum

karona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It must be weeks since I last changed mine, despite having a couple of hundred new lancets to use. :)

smudges dad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I reuse until it hurts or I get a strange reading. Life is too short to change it every use.