1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Aerobic exercise and high BS levels

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by Spirit of Eden, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Spirit of Eden

Spirit of Eden · Well-Known Member

Can anybody give a simple explanation of why my BS levels are always high after Aerobic exercise (e.g football/ tennis) ? Usually 14-15mmol.

To me it suggests that my liver is pumping out glucose into the bloodstream during the sport to help muscles with energy, but if there is not enough insulin available (I only take insulin) then there is no way for the glucuse to get transported into muscles etc

This pretty much always happens, but I would be very nervous about taking insulin before sport

2. mo1905

mo1905 Type 1 · BANNED

There is no easy answer unfortunately as different people will react differently to exercise, however, as a general rule, intense or competitive sport ( tennis/football ) will raise sugars, low intensity exercise tends to reduce levels.

3. Spirit of Eden

Spirit of Eden · Well-Known Member

Thanks Mo1905, agree totally with what you say.

After a year or so on insulin I can now control my BS really well as long as there are no aggravating factors. High and Low intensity &activity activity are obviously good things to be doing as a diabetic but they really mess with my levels.

I would really like to understand what is physically going on when I exercise so I can think ahead. This article seems to agree with my theory about Aerobic exercise.

http://www.joslin.org/info/why_do_blood_glucose_levels_sometimes_go_up_after_physical_activity.html

4. Andy12345

Andy12345 Type 2 · Expert

5. Signs

Signs Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My personal experience.
    Type 2 mainly diet controlled and metformin with occasional gliclazide when levels are elevated.

Without gliclazide - High intensity intervals followed by weights increases levels a few points. Will remain high for a few hours. However I usually have a have a protein shake which brings levels back down quicker. I have no idea how it works, just know it does.

With gliclazide doing the same workout my levels drop quickly unless I've had carbs beforehand.

Cheers, John

6. ElyDave

ElyDave Type 1 · Well-Known Member

you're not aerobic, that's why.

You are likely to be anaerobic for large parts of these exercise, intense activity followed by recovery. The adrenaline (I'm also assuming these are competitive) will cause your liver to dump glucose into the blood stream. I can see this in both intense interval workouts, weights and sometimes cycling time trials in myself.

The thing to be careful about when it happens is not to overdo any corrective doses, but rather monitor BG regularly ,say every half hour for a couple of hours as you should start to replenish the muscle glycogens and BG is likely to drop fairly quickly.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook