1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

After 9+yrs of Metformin no more meds!

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Testimonials' started by 13lizanne, Nov 27, 2015.

1. LuckyLynn

LuckyLynn Type 2 · Newbie

You oi

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. 41quayside

41quayside Type 2 · Newbie

What vegetables and fruit do you allow yourself?

• Like Like x 2
  3. 13lizanne

13lizanne Type 2 · Expert

4. 13lizanne

@41quayside No fruit but a few strawberries or raspberries with double cream occasionally. You can have unlimited green vegetables on lchf eating though and there are lots of recipes on the forum's low carb diet and recipe threads which will give you guidelines. Good luck

#24 13lizanne, Dec 11, 2015 at 6:11 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2015
  5. 13lizanne

Hi Kathy, I did a lot of reading on this forum "What did you eat today" thread is good for ideas but a thread on the Low-Carb Diet Forum here called "Viv's Modified Atkins Diet" was a great help to me, it suits me because my food choices are very limited because of another medical condition I have. Also, if you look at my original post you'll see that I increased my exercise too, I find that really helps to keep the blood sugar down. Also I test my blood before each meal and then 2hrs after eating to make sure the food hasn't put sugar levels up too much., that's really important. Good luck @kathy1948

• Like Like x 2
  6. Chunkyelvis

Chunkyelvis Type 2 · Newbie

Well done! Stories such as yours are truly inspirational. Like many others as a newbie I found lchf on this forum. It can be a little scary ignoring NHS advice and going on your own but boy is it worth it .

I was diagnosed in May 2014 and have since lost 5 stone and reduced my hba1c to 39 by following lchf (although also on various meds) and I now genuinely enjoy exercise and have a new lease of life. I would encourage anyone to seek the support and experience of others on this forum and would echo the thanks in 13lizannes original message

• Like Like x 6
  7. 13lizanne

8. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Well done from me too! And here's a couple of gold stars... from me and all the Olive fans, so that you don't desert us! :p

gold_star.png gold_star.png
    Robbity

• Like Like x 4
  9. 13lizanne

Today I was having a revue with my GP who said if my next two HbA1c tests were low I could come off the diabetic register. He also said that he felt my last HbA1c result (40) was too low-doh! and would prefer my next two to be a little higher and that, as I wasn't on medication, I no longer needed to worry about "hypos" so could stop testing my blood!!. Then later when I asked " You said my diabetes was reversed? " he said Oh! yes, it is, that's another reason you can afford to eat more normally without worrying about what your blood sugar is doing. I got a very conflicting lot of advice today, it's as well that I prefer to take control of my diabetes and am not reliant on the NHS party line. Sorry for the rant :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You are in total control @13lizanne so I would continue doing exactly as you are, for as long as you want to.

Making sure you are as healthy as you possibly can be is all that matters.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. 13lizanne

Thank you for your encouragement, I appreciate it very much

12. Hiitsme

Hiitsme Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That is great @13lizanne
    At least you have more sense than to go back to your old eating without testing. Hopefully now some things you did need to avoid might be OK or at least in small portions. Keep up the good work.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  13. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That's brilliant news.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Kazza63

Kazza63 Type 1 · Member

Well done for reversing your diabetes. You must be chuffed

• Like Like x 2
  15. babsy2

babsy2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well done

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. tonyo49

tonyo49 Type 2 · Member

Hi, have just joined site after 10 years as a type 2 on 3 a day 500mg metformin plus atavastin 10mg and 16 mg candesartan daily. Similar testing HbA historic results to yourself and at the last count 5.7 (woo hoo! To quote you!) so now am getting serious having just "taken the tablets" for years. I want to try and get off meds altogether and am actively trying to get my weight down 10% using low calorie/carb diet. I would be interested to hear from you particularly as your doctor "confirmed diabetes reversed" what a great result, well done !! So what now for your metformin - stopped altogether? What advice re keeping bg under control ? I am really interested and quite excited and I am a wrinkly!! Tony O

• Like Like x 2
  17. 13lizanne

I came off Metformin last spring as I could no longer tolerate it, took 1 x 40 mg gliclazide for 3months and have been off all medication for diabetes plus ace inhibitor and statins since. I'm now medicine free but I did it myself @tonyo49 my docs advice had been meds + low GI diet but it wasn't working for me. I read for hours and hours on this forum, followed the links given to www.dietdoctor.com and decided that, for me, this was the way to go you've just read the rest of my story. Everyone is different and what worked for me may not work for you. I'm going to tag @daisy1 who will come along shortly with some great information which will get your journey started. Please read it then assk anything else you wish to know and someone will answer. Good luck

• Like Like x 2
    #37 13lizanne, Feb 12, 2016 at 1:37 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2016
  18. tonyo49

tonyo49 Type 2 · Member

Many thanks that's really helpful, will await info and read it, thanks again Tony O

• Like Like x 3
  19. Southbeds

Southbeds Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well done,it,s really something when you think about it ,you have cured a Deadly illness , by going againsts your GP,s advice ,he must be a bit embarrarased.? Well done again

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend

@tonyo49

Hello Tony and welcome to the forum :) Here in my signature is the link to the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask more questions and someone will be able to help.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook