1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

After 9+yrs of Metformin no more meds!

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Testimonials' started by 13lizanne, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Clivethedrive

Clivethedrive Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello Tonyo49 welcome to the forum,i have not long kicked all meds after 2 yrs lchf and exercise , please keep posting and come back with your questions,clive

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. tonyo49

tonyo49 Type 2 · Member

Thanks @daisy1 - sorry but not sure how to get into that info through your signature? Regards Tony

• Like Like x 2
  3. tonyo49

tonyo49 Type 2 · Member

Hi @Clivethedrive - thanks for taking time to reply, it is appreciated, regards Tony

• Like Like x 4
  4. Romeran

Romeran Type 2 · Member

Presumably those who use test strips several times a day have to buy most of them from a chemist which is too expensive for me, a senior citizen. I am charged £18 plus for 50 strips if I want extra. My GP gives me 50 strips every other month.

5. AtkinsMo

AtkinsMo Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Absolutely brilliant news, really well done. It's great to see real good news stories from people with long standing diabetes. Well done indeed

• Like Like x 4
  6. kokhongw

kokhongw I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes when it works for those many who had been diagnose with T2D and even those for more than 5 years, I really don't understand the current rationale for discouraging low carbs high fats diet for T2D. Are there long term studies to support the argument that low carbs high fats are dangerous in their evidence based recommendations?

• Like Like x 2
  7. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Hi a lot of us use the SD Codefree meter because the strips are cheaper at around £7 for 50. Its sold by Home Health UK and you can buy from their website or their e-bay shop. If you buy larger quantities there are further discounts available.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. 13lizanne

13lizanne Type 2 · Expert

I can't help with your question @kokhongw I don't know of any long-term studies but here's another piece of empirical evidence - I feel stronger and healthier than I have in years, full of energy and am managing to shake off chest infections without antibiotics. Quality of life is surely most important ?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. AtkinsMo

AtkinsMo Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

All of the most recent research is coming out strongly in favour of Low Carb High Fat. The problem is that dieticians are still being taught the official guidelines, doctors get very little nutrition tuition at all and the focus of their training is managing medications, when it comes to diabetes.
    The perceived problems are that, whilst the 'short term markers', HbA1c, inflammation, trigs, HDL etc all improve, without a doubt, the cautious, who have been taught and fully accept the Diet /Heart Health Hypothesis (now totally discredited) will say that 'long term, we do not know the health implications'.
    Well my take on that is that they do know the long term health implications of out of control blood sugars, spiralling, ever increasing doses of medications etc etc.
    I am very hopeful that now Dr David Unwin has been given this NHS award, somebody will be critically evaluating his work and will look at it with a fresh perspective. We can but hope!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Dazzy_D

Dazzy_D Type 2 · Active Member

Fantastic :) A really inspirational story as my meds and timeframe is virtually the same. Am doing the LCHF for last 3 months and the results are truly encouraging. With a story like yours to work towards, there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for sharing and well done

• Like Like x 2
  11. 13lizanne

Thank you and good luck @Dazzy-D my last HbA1c was 40 and I'm having bloods taken today for this current HbA1c quietly confident it will be 40ish again

12. Dazzy_D

Dazzy_D Type 2 · Active Member

Thanks 13lizanne.....my next HbA1c is not due until May, but for once I am actually looking forward to it.!! I had a bit of an 'episode' about 3 months ago with my GP being very concerned as I was close to passing out. I had ticked all the boxes foe DKA with my bg hitting over 30 mmol. A real wake up call to say the least. Since then have adopted the LCHF diet, watch my foods carefully, cut out the alcohol and have managed to lose a stone and a half (bought a new belt yesterday :) ) As you say, the key is regular testing, 7 -8 times daily. The forum has been a huge help, and when I read a story like yours, its a massive boost as I was diagnosed in 2008. Thanks for providing such a great message.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  13. 13lizanne

Well done @Dazzy_D your results are fantastic! I'm sure your May test will show a good reduction. :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. anncol

anncol Type 2 · Newbie

well done you, can I ask if the operation on your gut was diabetic related or not. I was diagnosed 16 years ago type 2 and for the last 15 months or so have been suffering with gut problems, this is being put down to nerve end damage due to the diabetis, I'm on 2000mg metformin and 40mg gliclazide daily. Cheers Col

• Like Like x 2
  15. 13lizanne

Hi Col, no my original op was because of cancer 26 yrs ago subsequent ops have been for wear and tear on the original op site! I have had type 2 for 10 yrs so completely unrelated. Hope that you get treatment to help your gut problem real quick @anncol

16. fene48

fene48 · Well-Known Member

Fabulous results and I am sure you are an inspiration to many people. Wishing you smooth sailing from here on.

• Like Like x 1
  17. anjum62

anjum62 Type 2 · Newbie

Wow, well done you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook