After meal glucose readings 2hr

Wave96

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been diagnosed with diabetes but don’t know what type yet. Suspected type 2. I had shredded wheat for breakfast with very little milk, original with no added sugars. It’s very low in sugar.
After 2 hours I felt tired and did a reading of 10.6 mmol/l it’s under the 11mmol/l my doctor told me to look for though. Is this a normal reading?

im new to diabetes and I haven’t been told much information.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I went low carb, not just low sugar, to get my T2 under control. That meant giving up breakfast cereals!
Do some reading about this, an easy start is with the info graphics produced by Dr David Unwin.
https://phcuk.org/sugar/

Wave96

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I went low carb, not just low sugar, to get my T2 under control. That meant giving up breakfast cereals!
Do some reading about this, an easy start is with the info graphics produced by Dr David Unwin.”

thank you! It’s certainly a useful read. If you don’t mind me asking, what do you have for breakfast/ what kinds of foods do you find better?
Also if you do have carbs say with an evening meal how did you manage it?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is not possible to determine the impact your breakfast had on your levels without knowing what they were before eating.
The recommendation is to test before your meal and two hours later aiming for a rise of no more than 2 to 3 (depends which websites you read) between the readings.
Given people without diabetes can see numbers in the 9s, I do not consider 10 as high for myself and suggesting you should do better than someone without diabetes is possible a little unnecessarily over eager.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been diagnosed with diabetes but don’t know what type yet. Suspected type 2. I had shredded wheat for breakfast with very little milk, original with no added sugars. It’s very low in sugar.
After 2 hours I felt tired and did a reading of 10.6 mmol/l it’s under the 11mmol/l my doctor told me to look for though. Is this a normal reading?

Hello & Welcome! As a Type 2, I wouldn't have anything that made me spike to 11 (I know the health professionals say anything under 10 is ok - I try to stick to under 7.8 or thereabouts) and again personally I don't have any breakfast cereals as they are not a healthy option as they all advertise and especially not for Type 2s they are all high in sugar/carbs. For breakfast I usually have eggs - anyway you like - during the week when working I will have a couple mashed up in a cup with butter for quickness, this morning I had 3 scrambled with some cheese through them. I sometimes will have bacon, bratwurst sausages (low in carbs), mushrooms and a little tomato. Other times I will have some greek yoghurt with berries or nuts & seeds on top or some low carb bread from here www.seriouslylowcarbbread with some roasted cheese on top. Sardines & mackerel or salmon & scrambled egg are ok too if you like fish :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Shredded what is 67% carbohydrate

All carbohydrate turns to sugar once ingested.

That's your problem I'm afraid.

Bacon and egg would have been both more filling and led to lower blood sugars.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes - a type 2 diabetic can't cope with carbohydrate, and anything made from grain is going to be around 2/3rds starch - which is digested fairly quickly and forms sugars - so the high reading is normal, but that doesn't mean that it is good.
Although I do not test much these days, under 7mmol/l after eating would be my preference.