1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

After your hypo ...

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Spirit of Eden, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Spirit of Eden

Spirit of Eden · Well-Known Member

Ok, so you've had a mild or medium hypo and treated it. How do you feel and for how long ?

I used to cope with them quite well but these days I get an awful headache and feel awful for quite a while afterwards. Even when the headache goes, my eyesight is fuzzy and I feel very fragile and tired even the next day.

Any tips on lessening the effects would be appreciated

Cheers, Paul

2. pav

pav Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Re: How do you feel after a Hypo.. and for how long

I might be lucky, as my BS rise back into the normal range the effects of the hypo disappear and I feel ok. If I was going to drive after having a hypo I would wait a good while to ensure I was ok to drive and retest before driving.

3. Donkeymad

Donkeymad Type 1 · Active Member

Luckily for more minor hypos I am back to normal soon after taking remedial action. If I do have a bad hypo, I feel cold for hours afterwards.

4. michelejane

michelejane Type 1 · Active Member

i think it depends a lot on how soon you catch it as well as what time of the day or night. I go for juice first as liquid seems to be more effective. The weird ones are when I still feel like I'm 'sinking' yet my blood test shows 6 or 8 but I feel I must eat or drink more. Odd. Does anyone else experience those? :? :?

5. ewelina

ewelina Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I used to have it before starting low carb. I think it happens when you are heading to hypo. If 2 hours after meal I was 6 (which was too low for me I always aimed for about 8 ) then I could have had hypo symptoms. If i didnt treat it, an hour later I would have gone very low

6. moom1973

moom1973 · Member

If I catch my hypo early im usually fine afterwards but if my blood sugar go's too low I feel completely washed out afterwards with a banging headache..

7. Spirit of Eden

Spirit of Eden · Well-Known Member

Yes, washed out and banging headache is pretty standard.

8. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Mirrors most people's experiences, the lower you go the longer it takes to recover!

9. faeoj

faeoj · Well-Known Member

I have a cracking headache for hours! I usually get my bs back to normal range then head to bed for a quick nap x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

10. Donkeymad

Donkeymad Type 1 · Active Member

After a minor low I am very quickly back to normal, but if I should get a more serious low, I tend to get very very cold.

11. Cupcaake32

Cupcaake32 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ohh the dreaded hypo hangover a few hiurs feeling groggy then my bloods sky rocket so i feel eben worse

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook