Air Fryers

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just noticed a post of @Goonergal in another thread referencing the benefits of air fryers. Mrs Listlad tends to want to fry in vegetable oil but I strongly request that she cook in olive oil. It seems the air fryer requires less oil.

I believe such a device might benefit the family as a whole. But which one? There’s loads to choose from and at vastly different prices.

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just noticed a post of @Goonergal in another thread referencing the benefits of air fryers. Mrs Listlad tends to want to fry in vegetable oil but I strongly request that she cook in olive oil. It seems the air fryer requires less oil. I believe such a device might benefit the family as a whole. But which one? There’s loads to choose from and at vastly different prices.
I was always warned that olive oil should not be used for frying since it is impaired by high temperatures. Animal fats and oils are better for high temp cooking, I believe. and veg oils are generally in between. There have been reports from Spain regarding the danger of using olive oil in commercial premises for frying,

I too was almost tempted to buy an Air Frier, but decided in the end that it would tempt me to use it for frying starchy foods to my detriment. I moved my allegiance to a soup maker instead.

Reactions: Tophat1900

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a Tefal hot air fryer which is - apparently, of some age now but I managed to get spare parts for it recently when the plastic edge for the pan broke at the hinge - the newer ones don't have hinges - I think I can guess why.
Mine just stirs the food around whilst blowing hot air at it - but it is great for chicken thighs - it is worth it just for them alone. I do not add any fat or oil as I do not buy lean meat. Once the chicken is done and taken out putting some button mushrooms and other stir fry things into the juices from the chickens is a good idea - and you can evaporate the crispy skin whilst it is cooking too....
If all you can get is chicken legs it is worthwhile cutting them into two, as that is the right sort of size for easy stirring.
I use olive oil for cooking and frying - but I tend to use heavy pans and to cook at low temperatures. I have never been a fan of charred food - the concept of barbecued foods raw in the middle and carbonized on the outside doesn't appeal at all. I have the light olive oil for frying and the virgin for salads and such things as scrambled eggs. I make a rather good cheese souffle omelette.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was always warned that olive oil should not be used for frying since it is impaired by high temperatures. Animal fats and oils are better for high temp cooking, I believe. and veg oils are generally in between. There have been reports from Spain regarding the danger of using olive oil in commercial premises for frying,

I too was almost tempted to buy an Air Frier, but decided in the end that it would tempt me to use it for frying starchy foods to my detriment. I moved my allegiance to a soup maker instead.
Less likely for the olive oil to burn in an air fryer? Dunno. Just enquiring.
BTW The air fryer would be used for carbyer foods for the rest of the family. I wouldn’t personally want to use it for chips, for example, for myself.

Last edited:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd be interested in asking members who may have both an air fryer and an instapot, which of them is more useful and/or used in their kitchen. I um-and-ah about whether to get one or t'other.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd be interested in asking members who may have both an air fryer and an instapot, which of them is more useful and/or used in their kitchen. I um-and-ah about whether to get one or t'other.
Good question, in my case I don’t know what an instapot is so will have too google it. The air fryer seems to have a couple of advantages over frying or oven cooking in that it sounds as if the spits and spots of fat when using a pan on the hob will not happen with an air fryer. The other benefit seems that it can help to reduce the use of the oven and all the heavy cleaning that goes with use of the oven. I don’t know if that is correct but looks like it.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The new Ninja cooker is grabbing my attention at the moment. Does slow cooking, air fry, soup maker, with a crisper on top so seems very versatile. However, the price even on Black Friday,was like peeling onions. I am sill using the Ninja Nutribullet and it does sterling service. Simple and does what thry claimed.

No experience of their air friers

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The new Ninja cooker is grabbing my attention at the moment. Does slow cooking, air fry, soup maker, with a crisper on top so seems very versatile. However, the price even on Black Friday,was like peeling onions. I am sill using the Ninja Nutribullet and it does sterling service. Simple and does what thry claimed.

No experience of their air friers
Good to see you back posting.
So this Ninja cooker that you have also air fries?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good to see you back posting.
So this Ninja cooker that you have also air fries?
Not wishing to post advertising blurb on this site, but if you google Ninja Foodi then you csn see what it is claimed to do, As I said previous, I decided not to buy one of these but am awaiting their soupmaker to be delivered any day now.

Reactions: Listlad

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The other benefit seems that it can help to reduce the use of the oven and all the heavy cleaning that goes with use of the oven.
You're supposed to clean your oven? :eek:
Mine is black on the inside and has no light (gas stove from the 1940's or early 50's, possibly older) so I don't see the dirt inside. Problem solved!

Reactions: Redshank

JamesD17

I just noticed a post of @Goonergal in another thread referencing the benefits of air fryers. Mrs Listlad tends to want to fry in vegetable oil but I strongly request that she cook in olive oil. It seems the air fryer requires less oil.

I believe such a device might benefit the family as a whole. But which one? There’s loads to choose from and at vastly different prices.
I was a bit lost too when it came to choosing an air fryer. I did plenty of research and it came down to power rating and size. We're a family of 5 so I went for an extra-large capacity air fryer (Tefal Express XL) and it has served us well since buying it 3 years ago.

Good luck,

James

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have both an instant pot and an air fryer both are useful, with the air fryer I quite often use spray oil either olive oil or rapeseed and have also used various cooking oils with it.

I cook swede cubes or chips in the air fryer also eggs, bacon, sausages I particularly like egg cups or muffins done in the air fryer the Instant pot is one of the best things I ever bought and is so versatile I could not possibly list every thing I have cooked in it in a fraction of the time it would take me using my normal oven.