Type 1 Airport x-ray machines and insulin

BethC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have noticed on several occasions that when I travel abroad, even if there is no time or temperature difference, I experience high and/or irregular blood sugar readings. This then continues when I return home and is only corrected when I change the insulin cartridges I am using. I ensure my insulin is kept at the right temperature when travelling and I know it's not the test kit so I have started to think it may be the x ray machines effecting/destablilsing the insulin? I can't think of anything else that it could potentially be so any feedback or info about similar experiences would be welcome.

On my last trip I requested that my insulin be hand checked and this was refused at security. I then experienced high sugars for the duration of my trip and was having to significantly increase my insulin levels to try and balance it out, occasionally resulting in a sudden low. So I would also be interested to hear of any similar problems when going through security.

I have been type 1 for 25 years and use Novorapid and Levermir.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi @BethC and welcome to the forum. I haven't experienced XRays affecting my insulin over the hundreds of flights I have taken per se, but have you considered other factors, such as the stress of travel, and the expectation of problems, actually causing the problems? Even if you don't feel stressed, it could be just your body, subconsciously reacting? Stress, in whatever form, is well documented to affect BGs ;)

BethC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Paul, thanks for responding. Yes I have taken everything into consideration and really am at quite a loss as to why other than potentially the xrays. I am a frequent traveller, not a stressy person at all (I'm a yoga teacher!) and have only experienced this when flying, no other form of travel. The unstable readings continue throughout the trip only corrected when I get back and change the cartridges I'm using. I've continued using the same ones for 3 days after returning this time, switched to one of the spares I had with me for the third day, same problem. It seems to be the levermir that is the problem. My readings are like I have had none at all. (13 when I woke up this morning despite taking extra and despite the fact mornings are when I experience more lows than any other time) :(

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm currently using the same insulin pens that have been through airport security 6 times (three trips in 3 weeks). I travel frequently for business and have never had an issue with xray machines affecting insulin.

What can potentially affect my insulin is the pressurized cabin. I learned not to travel with a needle tip on my flexpens because it can cause issues with air pockets in the vial. That's easily resolved by purging the pen a few times, but it's worth mentioning.

The other issue is that it's sometimes hard to exercise when I'm traveling (or I'm more limited to the types of exercise I can do), and my diet changes. That has obvious affects on my insulin needs.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
What can potentially affect my insulin is the pressurized cabin. I learned not to travel with a needle tip on my flexpens because it can cause issues with air pockets in the vial. That's easily resolved by purging the pen a few times, but it's worth mentioning.
I forgot about this, I also used to get this regularly when travelling with levemir and novorapid (pre-pump), and on a few occasions definitely under-dosed due to the air pockets.