Airshots With Insulin....why?

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys

A couple of you have posted about doing airshots before you inject? Why do you do this? In 5 years I have never done this.....am I doing something wrong? Im on novorapid and toujeo.

Thanks

Lynz

allan2010

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told to do it to make sure the insulin is coming though the needle ok, and to get rid of any air bubbles.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It clears the air in the needle, any crud (to be honest as they are sterile there is bound to be none, but if you reuse needles it will help) and ensures there is no blockage ensuring you get the right dose of insulin.

By blockage it could be both something in the needle or a manufacturing defect stopping the insulin going through. Basically dial two units and press. If you see a constant stream from the needle you are good to go.

In the note of air, I am pretty sure its not great to inject air into you.

Edit: see BD's pdf

https://www.bd.com/resource.aspx?IDX=10256

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys

A couple of you have posted about doing airshots before you inject? Why do you do this? In 5 years I have never done this.....am I doing something wrong? Im on novorapid and toujeo.

Thanks

Lynz

It's to make sure insulin is ready at the tip of the needle and that there's no air in there @Lynz84 It ensures all's working properly and that you get the dose of insulin you think you're getting :)

Dial up two units and press the pen button/end. You should see a spurt of insulin. If none comes out, or only a tiny drop, then repeat. You can then do your injection in confidence.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Not sure what equipment you use. But if you were to dial up just 1 or 2 units on a flex pen, you can depress the plunger even when the needle is blocked. So you would think you had injected when in fact you hadn't. I've had this once since I started injecting.

Also, if there is air in the front of the needle, you are not injecting the full dose, you might be half a unit or so under which makes a difference to some people.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
yes sorry i alway's do this

S

Shar67

Or you could do what I did the other day, Airshot 6 units injected 2:wideyed:, it was only the press of 2 units that made me realise what I had done. I blame the meds

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It can also be referred to as Priming the Needle, thought everyone was taught this from the onset.

Reactions: 2 people

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey All. Thanks for this! After 5 years this is the first im hearing of it, though at diagnosis I was only in overnight and completely shattered so could have missed this bit of info. Thank you all x

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I start off a new flex pen I always needed to dial up 5 units as airshot before anything comes out. Then 1-2 units before every injection just to check there is something going out, no dud needle. I used to keep my used needles in an altoids tin while on the move, so just did air shot into the peel off needle wrapper bit in the tin.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I always do a 2 unit airshot to prime the pen as this gets rid of bubbles and makes sure insulin is flowing correctly. My DNS showed this when I started insulin and all package inserts always state you need to prime the injection. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: azure

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Airshots are certainly required whenever you start a new pen/cartridge to ensure the needle is primed. Typically before a bolus I will do multiple air shots of 0.5units just until I see that little bubble of insulin from the needle, the same with my lantus (when i was on MDI) I would do 0.5-1u at a time just to make sure its not plugged or damaged - to much insulin need not be wasted on airshots - its a precious resource lol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
In the instructions for my Echo pen, it says to do an air shot of 2 units, which I do every time I use it, it's better to be safe than sorry.

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always do an air shot. When nothing comes out I'll take a look at the needle and the usual cause is that the needle has bent when screwing it on the pen so it's not actually sticking through the rubber

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I never bothered with air shots until one day I somehow bent the needle connecting to the pen when screwing it on. Injection seemed normal but 1 hour later I was high as a kite and realized what had happened. Not sure where the insulin went.

I do an airshot everytime now when I inject for both basal and bolus.