ALA in pregnancy

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

I've been reading up on Alpha Lipoic Acid and its benefits for diabetes. I was wondering if anyone took this and whether it was safe to take during pregnancy? (I'm not pregnant yet but am ttc). I've left my DSN a message about it but wondered if anyone had any experience of it. I did end up with BR after my last pregnancy (whether that was down to pregnancy or just unlucky and length of time with diabetes I don't know!) and I thought if this might help relieve some stress on my eyes (and the rest) then it's worth thinking about. Sorry that was a bit of a ramble! Any advice welcome :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I wouldn't take any supplement in pregnancy other than folic acid. Or iron if found lacking.
These 2 supplements alone make a huge difference to the fetus. I don't think its recommended on my bottle.
Yours?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't take ALA in pregnancy and I stopped other supplements I was taking too. It's not worth the risk, in my opinion - even if it's a miniscule risk.

I took the prescribed folic acid and an approved pregnancy supplement (checked with my OB and Endo)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no idea about taking it in pregnancy, but otherwise it seems to be worth taking. It seems to help quite a few of us as far as BS and neuropathy are concerned. If you do decide to take it (whilst not pregnant) make sure you consider the R-ALA and not the ordinary ALA. The R-ALA is more expensive but is fully absorbed, whereas only about half of the ordinary is absorbed.

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks everyone! It does sound worthwhile but I won't be taking anything other than folic acid while (if it happens) pregnant. Definitely something I'll consider after though! I was just looking an extra layer of protection but think I just have to keep focus on BS and forget this for now :)

Reactions: ickihun